fule pump

Carllloyd

Car
saab9.3 2005
Hi can any 1 tell me how to check the under bonet fule pump. It's on a saab9.3 2055 desial. The car was running 1 day next day a no start and just turns over ty all from carl

Can I ask why you think there is a problem with the fuel pump? And no the car not starting is not a reason but merely a suspicion ;)
Check the fuel pump fuse to be safe, then check the fuel filter, do you have an engine check light illuminated on the dashboard, in case you are wondering it does actually look like an engine. :)

I guess that the fuel delivery or lack of fuel delivered to the injectors may be the cause in a compression ignition engine.
Glow plugs not working ?? so as Os said check all fuses (and relays)

Hi and ty for the reply. Well at the top near center or the fule rail I undid the pipe that feeds it and the fule just dribbles out with no presher in the fule so points to pump me thinks fuse good carl

OK, well before you go for a new pump or used one come to that, take off the fuel pump connections and make sure they are clean, apparently they can be susceptible to corrosion and therefore high resistance and therefore a dribble where a good blast might be expected. Remember also that the ECU will dictate what the pump does pressure wise depending on the speed so don't panic if you are not looking at a gusher of a jet stream.

I would also be checking the in tank pick up filter for blockages caused by the diesel bug/dirty fuel and installing a new in line fuel filter and testing/trying to start the motor before replacing the pump.

Hopefully between the 2 of us we can come up with the solution :)
Will be interested to eventually know as to what the fault and fix turns out to be.

Yes will let u know as I say high presher fule Cumming from the fule pump at a wot looks like wot u would put a presher tester on but not a lot Cumming out of the pipe that is at the bottom side. with the metal pipe that leads to the rail got a new cam belt kit and new water pump just watting for pump to cume now. had a price on fitting at 150 pounds is that a good price ty carl

£150 pounds sounds like a lot of money just to fit the pump buddy.
Diesels are rascals if not looked after properly, so make sure you do some long journeys and give the car a good fuel clean with BG 44K Diesel cleaner, there is a link on here somewhere for you to go too to buy it. Bottom line, the SAAB diesel is a great car but fussy if neglected and not shown the love. I will do what I can to help & advise but you MUST get the car engine system read by a Tech II with the SAAB software. Yes there are generic fault code readers, but the SAAB version interrogates the system more in depth and will save you money on incorrect guess work that could cost you a small fortune.

Hi change the fule pump in thr engine compartment and new water pump and all the rest that came with the kit now has the pump got to be coaded to the car so I've been told ty carl

Some pumps need coding some don’t according to Bosch. What have you got is it the Bosch VP44 pump? The fact you can buy the pump might mean it can be coded, some Vauxhalls come with pump and ECU blank only supplied by dealer and need coding with dealer equipment cost ~ £2,500 acc to Honest John.

Re fuel only dribbling out of the common rail, there’s not a lot of delivery there when you’re just cranking the engine over. When throttle is closed the switch signals low fuel demand to the ECU. Also the fuel delivery lines are micro bores to reduce pressure pulse.

Did you have any prior trouble with erratic idle speed and/or rough running? If so it may be the ECU see these guys http://www.ecutesting.com/

Do what T9 man has been telling you and get your DTC's read.

Ok all on the fule rail the macanic is only reading 40psi. he definitely thinks it's the high presher pump not giving the rail any or not a lot of fule, to allow the injecter to open. allso on the pump when I got the drive cog off the pump shaft, duno if in the grove on the s,haft is supposed, to have a clip or sum thing to marry the cog to the shaft if so wots it look like ty carl

40 psi is nothing like enough, the internal cylinder pressure alone on the compression stroke will be four or five times that. But it's not the rail fuel pressure that opens the injectors nozzles, it's not like the old in-line pump diesels where the fuel pressure alone opened the injector nozzles, with CRD the fuel injectors are opened either by electrical solenoid or by piezo electric operation. The fuel pressure delivered from the common rail has to be enough not only to overcome the cylinder pressure but to atomise the fuel for ignition.
As for your question about the pump shaft, most of them have a keyway machined in them to take a Woodruff key which the drive gear must engage with. But you don't even say what kind of fuel pump you have so how do you expect answers?

It can possibly be something with the carburetor as the dirty or greasy oil does impact the flow of it.
Generally what i have seen has different terms and most of the times keeping it all in the check of mechanic is a wise option.