Fuels of the future.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you think we'll be running cars on in 30 years time?

Will we still have cars?

Is electric, hydrogen or LPG going to take over from Diesel or Petrol? Will fossil fuel cars become so efficient that they off 200mpg and these future fuels are redundant?

At the momment the UK doesn't have enough spare capacity (in fact no spare capacity) to be able to cope with even a small percentaqe of cars using electricty from the national grid.

Hydrogen is plentiful so is a viable option.

LPG is a fossil fuel

Solar, not in the next 30 years.

Hybrid, possibly the way things will go.

Petrol and diesel will be around for many years. Car manufacturers have a huge vested interest in fossil fueled cars so in order to keep making profits they will continue to make engines more efficient and cars lighter.

But 200mpg from a family saloon? Not sure that there is sufficient energy stored in petrol or diesel to achieve that. What do you think, HD?

Cars in the 60s were getting over 40mpg and we have only just surpassed that so a 4 fold improvement over the next 30 years is unlikely, IMO.

Best bet is probably a bank of those perpetual motion engines from YouTube.

Last edited:
I can't see 200mpg in something we currently regard as a car.

Hydrogen is plentiful indeed - the problem is separating it from the water that makes up 7/10's of the Earth's surface (and several miles deep in places) - this is energy hungry. It's also a pig to store and contain. Tiny atoms, one proton, one electron, nothing else so it leaches away effortlessly.

I think the future is centralised in nuclear electricity generation, supplemented with wind, solar and tidal systems.

The BIG step forward would be creating batteries (accumulators) which can store, mass for mass the same amount of energy as a tank of fossil derived fuel. And at a price which makes it attractive or mass consumption.

The idea of a battery powered car with a top speed of 45mph and a range of 45 miles is not going to sell.

Lots of ideals presented here. It's reaching a suite of compromises which is acceptable economically, ecologically and commercially (ie. if Mr/Ms Car Buyer doesn't want it - it's effectively worthless).

I am all for electrically powered cars but so far I am not sure that the compromises are viable across the board at this point in time.

Hydrogen is the way forward but only when we can figure out a viable way of producing it easily and with minimal cost.

Right now though, I think we should be looking at the production of ethanol from hemp, a plant that can be grown anywhere and has a million different uses.

Hydrogen is the way forward but only when we can figure out a viable way of producing it easily and with minimal cost.

Right now though, I think we should be looking at the production of ethanol from hemp, a plant that can be grown anywhere and has a million different uses.

So, the price may not be so high, but.........

There has been a lot of research going on this field.Have been reading lots of news on the web like water to run the car etc etc. but so far none have come up with a solid idea.Lets see what happens in the next 5 years.

That's exactly what I need!!! A car that runs on tap water :D

Can you imagine the oil companies' dislike of someone who achieves this??

Moreso, can you imagine the hatred that all governments would have toward that person? Think about their fuel duty revenues. The oil producing nations would actively get together and have the individual concerned put to death.

That's exactly what I need!!! A car that runs on tap water :D

Moreso, can you imagine the hatred that all governments would have toward that person? Think about their fuel duty revenues. The oil producing nations would actively get together and have the individual concerned put to death.

I better keep my discovery quiet for a little while longer then ;)

Systems have already been discovered to run cars on water, they use distilled water though, had a friend that was building a system for himself to silently sell to truck companies. The reason for this not being well known is obvious......many people have probably been offed for trying to go public.

What's the operating principle behind this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitty it's so effin fugly.

I like it. Personally, it reminds me of GM's much-loved, but short lived all electric car, the GM EV1. The car eventually became infamous after it had a starring role in the revealing documentary, "Who Killed The Electric Car?"
7-1996-2003-General-Motors-EV1.jpg

who_killed_the_electric_car.jpg