fueling a diesel

wigguy1

Wrench Pro
Car
84,944porsche,400hp
Why is it not a throttle if it has a butterfly that controls air intake and a fuel system that matches the air intake to keep the mixture right? How is it different?
:blink1::blink1:

fueling a diesel re:want some info

I didn't know diesels had no throttle. How is it not a throttle it there is a butterfly controlling the amount of air and a fuel system matching the amount of intake air to keep the ratio right for combustion. How are they different.

Re: fueling a diesel re:want some info

That's the crux of it really - apart from the method of ignition the diesel engines output torque is regulated by controlling fuel delivery only. There absolutely is no butterfly or throttle housing !!! :D

So basically a diesel engine can be said to run on excess air. The fuel:air ratio varies widely according to operating conditions. Totally unlike a gasoline engine.

diesel engines can run with any fuel/air ratio from 100 to 1 down to super rich at 20/1.

most idle around 80-90/1,, and at full fuel, new ones rarely go below 30/1.

the odd thing is a diesel running 45 cetane fuel makes most smoke at peak torque, just when the engine starts to make big power.

add to topic; with no throttle plate, it reduces pumping losses of the engine.

think how much a vacuum causes the engine to work against itself.

only problem is when decelling a deisel, car likes to just happily run along not slowing much, but does help MPG.

but a good thing, it pushes cold air thru the chambers , less chance of overheating them, diesels run cooler with hi A/F ratios.

YES, a lot of advantages to a diesel vehicle. and with higher cetane #s of newer fuels all is good.

less smell ,or noise.

we are on the path of much improvements for D-engines.

they are so fast,as race cars, they have banned them in many world wide racing series.

and the new direct injection petrol(gasoline) cars, have no T-plate, its all controlled by a computor along with chamber shape, and when the fuel is injected and volume.

a little thought here; if you understand what detonation is in a regular gas engine, its uncontolled combustion it can damage the engine. because you have a MIXTURE of fuel and air in the chamber, if conditions are not perfect, it burns all at once, very high cyl.pressures, knock and heat, could melt a piston,blow gaskets ETC.

now a D/I engine has only air in the chamber, IT CANNOT DETONATE, got no fuel in it!

and at a predetermined point of injection,in the chamber, under the computor control.
it squirts a small amount of fuel, in a specific area of the piston, sometimes the fuel is done all at once,, or in small stacatto squirts, all variable by computor.

it is such an improvement , over old school carbys, and port injection, its a different world of technology.

Gentlemen, I thank you for the info. The only things I knew about a diesel was how to drive one, and all work is done with a chain fall. This was very informative, thank you again.

mines has a throttle. its the pedal on the right ;)

in seriousness though mines does have a butterfly/throttle plate although its not controlled by the go pedal its an anti shudder valve.