Fuel Additives

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
Hello all! I got my polo back from the garage the other day (again!) and after having so much work done to it including a service i though i might as well try some of those fuel additives. never tried them before but ive always wanted to give them a go. so i paid for the most expensive one in the shop, wynns gold formula petrol additive to clean out the valves etc. dont know if its a placebo effect or not but after a few miles i thought it ran a bit smoother with a very slight increase in acceleration (especially when the engine entered the torque band).

has anyone else had any experience with these? does the ones designed as an octane booster really make any notable difference?

I have had great sucess with Redex - about an extra 3-4mpg on average. Throttle response feels better as well.

I tried octane boosters on a carb engine and it just made it really sooty and clogged up the plugs. It is probably better on a closed loop system but bear in mind it is probably cheaper to buy higher octane fuel in the first place.

I try to use Redex regularly but also run Superunleaded petrol by default.

My car still runs like a bag of poo! ;)

I doubt you'd notice the diffference that quickly though.. Needs to do a full tank really.. Or even a few full tanks before much happens.

Most of these fuel additives are worthy. Especially if your car's been run with crap petrol for years (yep, they do vary!) there are great rewards to be secured.

Forte's are amongst the best - Forte Gas Treatment; Forte Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment score highly.

Also, Miller's new product Diesel Sport 4 is stunning if you've got a high tech diesel and want even more.

I know this is an old topic but is tru blu additive any good? valve lub inj cleaner water in tank converter all in one.

Cheers
will

I use redex in most of my cars, but I'm scared to use it in the BMW. I have been told that if I use it on an old worn engine I risk removing the deposits that are actually sealing the engine. Any advice on this, as the engine is 20 year old with 180k on the clock.

On another note, do any of you know of a product that can seal small holes in the head gasket, as I think I have one developing, and could be doing with a few more weeks before taking on a head gasket on a V12.

Redex fuel treatment shouldn't cause a problem so long as you don't pour it neat down the intake tracts.

WHere are the gasket holes, waterways, oilways?

I think they are in the water gallery, as I'm losing water but no puddles and I'm down a few cylinders. They tend to start firing again after about 5 mins from startup.

ive used redex for years! used it on all my cars: bmw 2002tii and ti rover p5 volvo 340redline renault clio etc and its not caused any problem with any of em, just smooth running :)

just make sure you use inj redex with inj and carb with carb...makes sence doesent it? :p

also on older cars it works a treat to pour a bit down each of the spark plug holes, de-gums it nicly and lubs it all up! it says you can do it on the carb version bottle.

this tru blu stuff looks good and would like to try it..as 1liter treats a tank 10 times!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tru-Blu-Upper...2375357QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Cheers
will