FTO engine swap ideas

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any engine swap ideas for the FTO? I'm particularly interested in hearing from those either planning or those who have completed an engine conversion.

What is the best and easiest engine swap for reliable power?

I am thinking the very same. I have done a little research and as i understand the 98 onwards (6a13t ) from the vr4 is 1of the better choises as the share very similar engine mounts.

VR engines are hard to come by as such but as you will see follow the link below. The Vr is mainly about wieght saving for performance than actual engine modification.
A recon rebuilt engine would be my choice then maybe when that is structually sound nitros etc for fun
http://www.ftooc.org/?section=models

Have a look on eurospec 2000 site they modify etc
http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/Tuning.aspx

I'll throw in a bit of food for thought aswell ;) If you think logically about what car and engine size you already have, that should give you a couple of hints straight away as to a couple of paths you can take. For 1, you have a 2.0ltr (I know it's a V6 aswell but that does matter for the mo ;) ) and 2, you have a Mitsi' ;) Now think of other 2.0ltr's from the same company and hey presto, you start thinkin about the Evo's and their 2.0ltrs ;)

I've seen a couple of very successfull evo conversions with them and jesus do they shift. From what I learned from these peeps you have the most ease using either the Evo 3, 4 or 6 engines. And if it the Evo engine doesn't mount up to the standard gearbox, then aghwell, you'll just have to drop the 5 or 6 speed box from an evo or Galant VR4 (i suggest galant as that is a V6 aswell ;) )

Lol now im confused so what do you think would be more cost effective and btr?? I am planning starting somethin soon. I heard the evo engine was a nightmare to put in but do you think it would be on par with the vr4?

If you haven't already look at FTOOC forum might help a bit I know eurospec2000 use it
they are the main tuners in the south or Camskill which ever your nearest both will advise within reason of course!

no its a fwd gpx. I was a member of ftooc but memberships ran out n not got round to renewing it. Think im gona go for vr4 my mechanic mate is keen so that does 4 me:) does any1 no anywhere else is good for info.

thanks;)

no its a fwd gpx. I was a member of ftooc but memberships ran out n not got round to renewing it. Think im gona go for vr4 my mechanic mate is keen so that does 4 me:) does any1 no anywhere else is good for info.

thanks;)

Is there a Fwd gearbox available for the Vr4? Converting your car requires a very lot of work. You'd have to fabricate some custom engine mounts. Custom fabricate a prop shaft tunnel. Uprate all the suspension and brakes etc etc. There is loads of work involved and i'm sure the ££££'s would mount up.

I agree with turbonutter those pound signs are getting bigger as I said the VR4 engine is as the GPX what makes it faster is lighter body parts etc, youd be better off spending upgradin the GPX you have look at the specs on both engine!
even the GR engine wont fit the GPX tuns of work needed.

I was under the impression that the 98 onwards use the same engine mounts although obviously could do with beefin up. Is that not the case for the gpx? I also thought you could use the fto gearbox or the galant v6 non turbo 1? i no there would be quite a bit of custom work = money but im about to get a l200 warrior but cant bring myself to get rid of the fto! Had it 3yrs and it is the best car ive had still love it! the only thing it needs to make it btr is speed;) oh and a dump valve:lol: Any other ideas? or no any1 that has done somethin similar?

the legnum/galant vr 4 engine fits in the fto engine bay using the fto engine mounts, it goes in quite comfortably with a little bowing of the bulkhead, the wiring is another issue all together, im in the process of getting mine ready for the vr conv,
you can use an fto gearbox if manual you will need the fto clutch and flywheel to bolt to the vr 4, you can also use the galant gearbox and conv from 4 to 2 wheel drive (not that hard to do)
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Post up some pics and a project writup Japside, we get asked about FTo mods quite a lot. What sort of timescale do you have on your project?

Post up some pics and a project writup Japside, we get asked about FTo mods quite a lot. What sort of timescale do you have on your project?

i dont really have a timescale mate as im currently sripping it down to a thousand pieces and shot blasting the entire engine bay and wheel arches to dispose of any rust then coating in zinc primer and then normal primer then the topcoat of underseal, the car is virtually just a shell at the moment and im not rushing into getting it done i want it done right and its taking time to get it right,
how do i post pics on this forum?
do these work?
int-3.jpg

front-2.jpg

fto-back.jpg

wow Thanks for posting. Looks like you have your work cut out there. Keep us posted with how the project goes and good luck with it.

Already done a very powerfull (612bhp) VR4 engine into my FTO. Im now removing it and doing an even more powerfull EVO engine.

yes you can fit a mivec into a GR but you would need the wiring loom and ECU to go with the engine, other than that it would drop straight in.

hi, im new in mitsu cars :blink1:
im planing to buy FTO GR, you guys says MIVEC engine, whats is the engine code?? Sorry ( newbie ):love::love: