fse power boost valve

vtr chris

Wrench Pro
Car
saxo vtr track car
hi guys,looking to fit a power boost valve on my saxo vtr track car just wondered if they are any good and does anyone have any experience with them,i have bda carbon induction kit,powerflow exhaust with decat and soon will be fitting kent cam and four branch just to give u an idea of whats fitted.
tnx chris

If the airflow metering is set up properly and the injectors themselves can deliver enough fuel to meet the needs of the engine at full-throttle and high revs then this Fse power valve won't make any difference.

They might be applicable to some of Bosch's early K-Jetronic systems (think early 1980's Cavalier SRi) which relied upon continuous spray fuel delivery but sequential injection is a different matter.

You're likely to find the car constantly trying to control the lambda sensor outputs by adjusting fuel delivery.

Without a cat and without associated closed loop controls then they might be worth a try.

dont waste your money! not worth considering unless your running carbs really, as said above if your injection system is up to scratch it wont make much if any difference

thanks guys,the injection system is spot on car only done 37,000 very well looked after,no running probs at all,i will leave it alone,will it still be ok with a high lift cam ?
tnx chris

You shouldn't have any problems to be honest. I was trying to avoid saying that they (the FSE valves) are a waste of money. TBH, I think they are, as has been said above.

If you're in that territory that then engine's running lean then uprated injectors and possibly fuel pump(s) should be done, thus rendering the FSE valve worthless anyway.

Even with high lift cams the air drawn into the engine should be well within the capability of the standard fuel system.

If, however, you were planning to fit some outrageously large turbocharger that can stuff 5 litres worth of air into a 4 cylinder 1.8 engine on each cycle then you would need a totally different system of fuel delivery anyway.

The old term was 'snake oil' when applied to magic additives. It may well be applied to these valve things. If the injectors can deliver the fuel adequately then there's no need. If they can't, then no increase in fuel rail pressure will help.

Most fuel injection systems can deliver far more fuel than the engine actually will ever need, at any point in the rev range.

Oversize injectors can cause problems as well - poor atomization, poor fuel/air mixing etc.

I hate to contradict but I had one of these on my Rover and it worked very well indeed.

Perhaps I should clarify the purpose of these mods. The idea behind the FSE fuel boost valve is not so much to increase the fuel pressure but to get the engine to respond more quickly to the throttle. These are much better and faster than standard fuel pressure regulators.

If your car is old chances are the fuel pressure regulator is no where near as efficient as it should be and you will greatly benefit from an uprated unit.

It will allow you to run at higher fuel pressures but as has been explained already this is pretty pointless on a modern closed loop engine. You can also put too much pressure on the fuel lines and cause splits if you are not careful.

They are utter rubbish. Loads of GT boys run (well try to) them and most constantly re-adjust themselves for no reason. They're just an adjustable FPR with a chavvy name.

If the standard fuel rail pressure regulator is ageing (and this won't affect MoT emissions tests, or economy) then replacing it with a new and standard one will help a lot.

I know the idea is to quicken the pedal response but there's so much ECU type stuff going on between you prodding the throttle and the car accelerating that it's not really going to make much difference.

Again, if the stock EFi system can match fuel delivery to air intake there's little it will help with.

Diesel is a different story - higher rail pressures do allow for better fuel atomization at lower revs, which will improve driveability.

Most petrol engines still inject fuel onto the back (stem) side of the intake valves just as they are opening so you might even cause the engine to over-fuel, which will leave the ECU trying to sort out the situation.

It's always interesting reading others experiences and opinions and this is what we are all about. :D

Mine was setup on a rolling road and all done properly so I guess I didn't have trouble with it. Would a standard Rover one have been better that the old one? Perhaps but I doubt the quality would have been as good as my FSE was. Maybe the Rover was an exception?

There are other brands available as well, which is something we should also point out.

When I went on the dyno, the car had a power dip at about 4.5krpms due to it leaning out and it taking a second to alter the mixture.

The guy suggested a fuel pressure regulator to help sort this.

I've decided to replace my old injectors (probably been on it for the entire 108k miles) and a couple other bits first, run it again and then see if I still need one.

Not gonna buy an FSE Power Boost Valve though, the name puts me off. Bit like 'Electric Supercharger'!

Nothing wrong with FSE by my experience but there are a few brands out there.

Just don't crank it up to high or you will experience a power loss as fuelling gets backed off if it runs too rich.