Front brakes stuck on

trumpet30

Wrench Pro
Car
VW Polo 1.4TDI
The brake pedal on my car became very sensative and then i noticed the car was pulling back.

Thought nothing of it until I was driving home and the car was very difficult to drive as the front brakes got stuck on. Just managed to get home with smoking brakes.

What is the fault as obviously the pressure on the brakes is not being released when the pedal is released (Master Cylinder?). Tested the servo by pumping the pedal and then starting the car and the pedal does go down so thats alright, does anyone know what the prob is.

Thanks

Siezed piston most likely. You might be able to free it with a wind-back tool, you can get them from halfrauds failry cheap.

If not you need new calipers.

This happened to me, seized piston. Chewed through a fairly new disc and pads in the time it took me to drive home from the lake district. If you can get it free give it a good clean, or take it to a mechanic (they adore this job :amuse:)

You said front brakes, have both stuck on?

Yes both front wheels were pouring smoke when I got home and the wheels were hot as a result.

Could understand if it was just one but both seems a little more central in fault. Does'nt the master cylinder have valves and could one of these have failed i.e. not letting the pressure off when the brake pedal is released.

Does seem odd. I'm not clued up on brake servos, but I think diesels are different to petrol in that they have a vacuum pump. Best bet is a trip to the garage, a DIY fix isn't something you want to risk if you're not that competent with a spanner. Especially when it comes to brakes, sorry couldn't be more help pal

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back