From the ground up

CrazyCornerStone

Car
Peugeot 106 1.0
I have a nice 1.0 106 but want to make it into something to truly be proud of, something that's a joy to drive and a bit of a beast. A mate of mine suggested getting a GTi equivalent that'll fit and then going from there. First of all, I want to upgrade the brakes and suspension then get onto the engine but before that, I want to find out if you guys had any suggestions on any route to take.

Yes the best advice anyone can give you is to start with something that has more potential in the first place. Actually buy a 106 GTI. They are quick (ish) to start with and excellent handling cars.

Oh well you never said that :amuse: A proper supercharged GTi done well would still be "sleeper" though if you leave the bodywork standard as they're not particularily powerful or quick as standard. Plus they're a much much nicer looking shell and much better handling to being with.

What's your budget?

You'll get no sleeper with £2k. Firstly, you'll need the car off the road. You'll never build a proper monster if the car has to be running every day. Basically if you want to keep that shell, a good starting point would be to fit all of the GTi stuff. Brakes, rear beam, suspension, engine. But on such a small budget you're just wasting time and money.

Building proper sleepers usually costs more than starting with the better car to begin with. Also, insurance for a conversion will be higher than that of an actual GTi. I will re-iterate, unless you have more than pennies to spend, start off with a GTi or something with more potential. A supercharged GTi with 300 ponies and a quarter mile in the 12's is still VERY much sleeper imo.

2k is what I'm starting with. I'm going to be doing this over a few years as a project as I love my pug. I don't drive it because I have another car, one of the main reasons I decided to improve it. It was just meant to be something of a testament to how well it has served me whilst I've had it :bigsmile:

Good good and fair enough. If it's going to be a second car the world is your oyster :bigsmile: These things are about 900kgs to start with I think, so you're looking at a good power/weight whatever you do.

Whatever engine you put in it, that's a long way off yet. Imo you want to start with the chassis and shell. Strip the lot. Strip the whole of the underneath, grind away/cut out and repair any rust and underseal the whole lot. Refurb and replace the suspension next. GTi rear beam so you have discs and not drums. Front brakes 4-pots from larger car, good pads and grooved discs all round. Add Coilovers into the mix and you've got a good basic handling setup. You're probably looking at £800-£900 if you use decent collies. You could go a lot further though but this is the minimum you'll want to run a powerful engine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. This will help a lot putting together a plan for what I hope the finished item will be like, still got a long way to go before I start though.

No worries. Once you start, though, get a project thread up. Be nice for people (myself included) to see the progress and learn along with you if you get me.

Get a GTi and strip off the bodywork adornments. Instant sleeper.

My 406 is a GTX HDi model and could be a 2.0 HDi 90 to look at. It's the 2.2 HDi 16 valve with a custom performance remap, and dishes out about 320lbft of torque and 190 plus bhp.

Forget any 'for a diesel' qualifications, it's lively by any standards, especially in third and fourth gears. Even the 0-60 is bearable and that's one thing diesels don't do especially well.

I like the anonymity it affords me.

Get a GTi and strip off the bodywork adornments. Instant sleeper.

My 406 is a GTX HDi model and could be a 2.0 HDi 90 to look at. It's the 2.2 HDi 16 valve with a custom performance remap, and dishes out about 320lbft of torque and 190 plus bhp.

Forget any 'for a diesel' qualifications, it's lively by any standards, especially in third and fourth gears. Even the 0-60 is bearable and that's one thing diesels don't do especially well.

I like the anonymity it affords me.

Guess what Hdi?
I agree with you on this one. :amazed:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back