fresh mot ready for open road... guess again :(

Ben30190

Wrench Pro
Car
mg zr 105 (pants)
its one thing after another with this stupid bloody car, sailed throught the mot after spending 350 on new parts keepin it in tip top nick. go to jump into the car starts fine runs upto temp, turn car off as i forgot to pick up the mot lol. go to start it again... refuses to start, just kept beeping and clicking. srs light back on.... bump the car it drives 20foot and just dies. wont start again then plug the diagnostic in pulls up 2 codes, cleared them.. and with the keys out the ignition the car goes mental revcounter goes up on its own... temp shoots to the top of the red trip computer flickers then goes off then car beeps three times...goes back to normal repeats the whole thing again 3 to 4 times. so a cleaned up the earth on the slam panel and gear box. things seemed to be back to normal.. then car would die seconds after taking the jump leads off. the brand new battery then read 11.8 volts and kept dropping which is a kick in the pants after a put a recon alternator on 3 days earlier that came with 6 month warrenty.... really considering calling it a day with the zr... always ran amazing with no faults 53 plate with 40000 miles and its just problem after problem...:mad::mad::mad:

That's real shame :sad2: Stick with it buddy I am sure we have all had days like that. Get the alternator double checked to make sure it is doing its job, also double check the connections in case of a school boy error.

found the alt's goosed so have to buy a new 1... but they vary in price and power rating so much a dont no which to buy.... they range from 60 quid for 65A to 90quid upwards for upto 105A..... what would you recommend?

When it comes to batteries and alternators biggest is always best in my opinion.
Winter is around the corner and its when the battery works its hardest; which will be a short lived effort if the alternator is not man enough to supply the battery with what it needs.

bigger isnt allways best as if the 70amp one supplies enough then the extra money for the 95amp one would be wasted

work out what your car needs. add up all the electrical items in your car when running normally. lights, heaters etc and go from there

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back