France set to ban sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040

Indeed - it does make you wonder. Whilst military and large-scale applications such as shipping and flight might need fossil fuels for a long time, will there come a time when the ordinary punter simply can't purchase petrol/diesel any more?

Whilst I have no objection to my daily driver being electric, as long as it's a proper car with aircon and cruise and all the other kit I enjoy AND has a proper charging infrastructure available, no petrol would simply mean the death of V8s even for recreational or weekend fun.

It has to happen and someone has to lead the way. Now a target has been set will other countries follow suit?

Just reading it again and it also looks like a snub to President Twat, err, Trump, for pulling out of the accord.

Now a target has been set will other countries follow suit?
Yes.
"Norway, which is the leader in the use of electric cars in Europe, wants to move to electric-only vehicles by 2025, as does the Netherlands. Both Germany and India have proposed similar measures with a target of 2030."

I'd like to see every bus that trogs round Rugby belching out filfth changed to electric, and to be honest, every time I go to a big UK city now I come out feeling polluted, outside and in.

Perhaps a compromise - electric/hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are the norm, and petrol is sold in limited quantities for recreational use.

Electric costs are going to shoot up!

I feel the days of the combustion engine have been numbered for a while now.

The thing is cars are a small contributor to global emissions levels.