Form Over Function

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Is it me or does this really annoy everyone atm? Accross the BMW forums people seem to be ditching wide tyres and handling in favour of eBay coilovers, budget tyres and just slamming the car as much as possible so they can't actually drive it. They think it looks awesome but I think I don't get why they want to compromise the handling and grip for the sake of 'stance'.

Discuss.

Function over form for me. No exceptions!
I see what you talking about here as well. Think some people does not give a dam for driving. They just want to look good. As far as those guys know they make compromise regarding grip and handling I got no objections. Everyone got his own cup of tea. Problems may occure when someone is expecting better handling, but all advices he got from internet are just cosmetic ones.

I'm not a fan of stance (ryhme half intended) It seems to be a fad that won't go away either. It's not just BMW's either, I saw a comment by a guy who'd slammed a sports car to the ground tucked some huge stretched rubber under it & declared how happy he was with. He even went to admit the car no longer possessed the handling it was know for & that it handled like poo. I wouldn't mind, but I think they look stoopid. :p

Just another thing that's going to push premiums up!

Last edited:
The car manufactures spend a lot of money and time getting the products more or less just right so personally I think it's better to leave things as they are

It is quite common on the roads and across various scenes. You see cars slammed and on stretched rims. A previous boyfriend of my middle daughter was a VW nut and dropped a Polo so much he couldn't drive it everywhere. He had to avoid certain roads, car parks and restricted his movements. It was too low and solid, might as well have bolted the suspension to the chassis with no springs or dampers! It looked cool he reckoned but would not admit it was a step too far and in the wrong direction. It'll only take a part to snap and the car will suffer as well as your back!

Ha ha, you guys must hate my car then. I've got stretched tyres, my front bumper hits speed bumps and I can't get off my drive, and I still feel that I'm not low enough.

Untitled by Nick Berger, on Flickr

I did a mild stretch thing last year and tbh it does look good when it's parked. But now I have massive tyres and lightweight rims and even driving 'slowly' in the rain it feels better.

095.jpg

If it has been done correctly, Not OTT it looks the nuts. Prince's Beamer pulls it off with out a doubt! I also think it should suit the car too.

Not gonna lie some of these stanced cars look badass. Not for me though, function over form any day but that's not to say you can't have both if you do it right, Princes bimma is a prime example.

Quite a while ago I saw a prime example of a car slammed too far! It was in the car park of one of my clients and the man was double pleased with his efforts.

Apparently (Wish I had seen it) he went to turn the car around and the wheels were so wide and the car so low that the front wheels jammed inside the wheel arch. :amazed:
He has been witnessed having to make a 6/7 point turn before in a ridiculously wide gap.

You just can't help some people :)