Ford TDCI Tuning

M

Muzzy

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this.

What is the best route to go down with tuning a TDCI engine, im looking at both the 1400 & 1600 engines. I have read about the diesel tuning boxes which are the first thing that come up when you search on Google, but ive not personally had any experience with them and i dont know if these give the gains that are claimed.

I know that the obvious route is breathing modifications but what diameter exhaust am i looking at for these engines?

Hope someone can help me out with this!

Cheers

hey and welcome to the mad house mate.
for all tuning a bigger engine is a better base to start with, a remap on the 1400 might give you the same power as a standard 1600.
regards tunign boxes - the proper made piggy back devices are ok but expect to pay around £3-400 for one, anything less i wouldnt risk it.
ebay tuning boxes avoid at all cost these are just a resister in a lot of glue that tell the ECU that the intake air is colder than it really is. this causes all matter of problems and will wreak the engine.

generally diesel exhausts and intakes are pretty good at their job, a panel filter will increase the airflow for around £40, a full induction kit circ. £100 + will give you maybe 1 or 2 Bhp more.

Hi Muzzy and welcome (sorry about my late reply! :()

PG is spot on there - bigger engines give a much better return tuning wise for your money. Remaps on turbo diesels make a massive difference on a non turbo diesel it is not worth doing.

lots of tuning stuff made in china now - like everything - I had a german dte box on my mondeo and it went quite a bit better. didn't have any problems with it and they were well made so i'd recommend one of those. got it from http://www.dte-diesel-tuning.com/cars/ford.html by the time i'd done the pipe as well it was a different car. the only problem we had with the whole car was the connector to the fuel pressure sensor was a bit erratic so we had to change it for a gold one, but that was a proboem with the standard part, not the box. also the rear pads used to chatter a bit too, but changed the brakes and that was fine.