Ford F250 Grinding sound when starting

Wcnwzrd

Track Warrior
Car
95 300zx TT (RIP)
Hey guys,
I know it has been a bit since the last time I was on but have a question that I need an answer to pronto. My daily is down for a major repair and was using my backup until earlier today. Went to start it and starter/solenoid stayed engaged even after returning the key to "ON" position. Had to put it back to start to get it to stop. Drove her down to the gas station to fill up and when I went to leave wouldn't start.

Symptoms:
Not starting
Large amp draw on Duramax 2500 SuperDuty Deisel truck when tried to jumpstart (pulled his amps down to 10)
Deep grinding sound when turning key, not the type as when you try to start a running engine.
Get about half turn then grinding sound then stops like dead battery

Pulled the starter and teeth on starter and flywheel look mint.
Starter gear moves freely both directions
When hooked to power and try to start spins free

Sounds very similar to the issue my mate had with his van and that turned out to be the crank and and the noise was the conrod shell grinding itself to nothing.
Try turning the engine by hand see if it becomes to stiff to turn.
Hopefully this isn't your issue!

Rock the engine with the gear engaged, hit the starter to release the locked pin. It is probably just a bit stiff and might free up with use. Is the battery ok?

Glad you got it sorted, I've known the gear teeth to wear which causes a grinding or flat spots where the started can't get a purchase and do anything.