Forced induction kit for 93ss Aero

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Hi Everyone, I am thinking of installing an induction kit on my 93ss Aero Auto 2003, I have heard both good and bad things about these kits, heat on the filter effecting engine performance, heat shields not really up to the task? engine light making a mystery appearance! Have tried a Simoco kit in the past and although it made a lovely noise, I did not notice a big rise in performance! although I do not think it was fitted very well and this maybe the reason for the lack of performance. I would very much appreciate anyone who has a kit thats running and running well or advice to the contrary about fitting one! I am having the beast rolling road tested next wednesday, so if I get any positive advice soon I shall have it installed in time for the remapping, Thanks for any help you can give!

A forced induction kit to my mind is either a ram air scoop or a turbo or supercharger. I presume you mean a cone shaped air filter?

I really don't think a cone filter will do anything much for performance but as you say it will sound great.

Hi many thanks for the reply! I'm sure you are right, it was their description not mine! I have seen a similar gadget this is called a carbon charger air intake, here is the link: http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_178_529&products_id=3136

I was looking for something like this or some other similar performance product? would I actually gain by having this installed? Hope I did not confuse the issue to much with my description earlier, but i'm sure now you can see where i'm coming from!

Hi, Have just realised that my first reply to you involved a web link and might therefore take sometime for you to receive it. I am in actual fact looking for a performance induction kit that will benefit my cars performance, and more importantly, can be bought and delivered very quickly in time for an installation next week, can you help? money is no object, I just want to get the right one first time round.

While I have your attention, do you know anything about Aquamist water injection systems? these are available for my car but i'm not all together sure about their worth! they command a lot of money between £260 and £780, again, would I notice a big difference i.e is it actually beneficial?

Many thanks for the help!

I've authorised your post for you buddy.;) You only need 3 more posts and then your ok to upload links and pics. So have a wander round and get stuck in mate.

The kit will, once i've found it will be installed by Auto xtreme based in Romford Essex, They will be doing the Dyno road remap as well with Track n Road of Rainham Essex.

You only really need water injection if you are pushing the upper limits on your engine. The difference will IMHO be the same as using super unleaded fuel instead of ordinary leaded fuel.

Blown up Cats! do you hire yourself out for funerals by any chance? lol, I shall continue to seek your little pearls of wisdom anyway! rather looking forward to the dyno road next wednesday now! still no word from the garage yet with regards to the Pipercross induction system, I have made the choice to use this as opposed to the Simoto system. Many thanks for the help chaps! :blink1:

Did you decide on an induction kit yet? Saabs have relatively well housed induction systems... so there isn't much to gain from an intake. I would recommend the open air intake system from genuinesaab. It will of course sound nice, provide your engine with a bit more air and has a nice housing to keep away hot engine air.

As for the aquamist, dont bother. Unless your car is running hot do to a highly staged motor, you will not get any benefits from it. It is basically a way to return your engine to what it should be, not push it further.

Let me know how the dyno goes!

Hi there, I was advised about the pipercross induction kit, maybe the VIPER, but the garage did not get my induction kit in time for the dyno road run which was an annoyance to say the least, so I cancelled the kit!

The rolling road showed the car was running quite lean and was producing 276.7 BHP, I was hoping to be much nearer to the 300 mark, but after a chat with one of the very knowledgable chaps at the Neo brothers, he said, with what I have had done so far, that I should have seen the 300 mark.
The car has been heavily modified with a TD04 Hybrid, Hirsch performance software for the ECU, Hirsch performance intercooler, Samco performance hoses, ITS air filter inside the standard Aero housing, cylinder head and valve works, to name but a few things, with all this in mind! do you still think the Aquamist would be of little benefit to my car? all help offered is greatfully received!

The Neo brothers expert is of the opinion that just a MapTune filter would be the way to go here, instead of an induction kit? He has also suggested the installation of the higher output fuel injectors and possibly a fuel regulator booster. The expert has also suggested changing the sparkplugs to the biofuel version which he says has given them marvellous results on their cars, so thats good enough for me.
I have decided to put my trusty chariot into their capable hands this afternoon, where upon they have promised me amazing results by next monday. Will keep you posted with all the developments.

Hi there, sorry missed one little note! I shall look into the system that you suggested at genuinesaab who I am ashamed to say, I have never heard off? will let you know more when I have done some more research, Cheers.

Ah so it's a deisel? Well, im still pretty sure genuinesaab has something for them. They are a great place to get saab performance parts, as well as partsforsaabs.com . Anyway, seems you have been at this for a while and are really trying to push your saab to the next level! With all the things you mentioned you should be pushing around 290 if its TD im thinking of. I still believe aquamist will not see any benefits, unless you are pushing your car hard (high revs, for a substantial ammount of time like in drag races or track days frequently).

Sounds good though nice to see more Saab members here!

A diesel?? oh bless you no! Sorry! did not mean to be misleading! The car is a full blooded petrol fuelled monster! The TD04 is what was written on my invoice. The turbo installed is a brand new Hybrid unit that much I do know. Keep meaning to ask the garage what the proper model number of the turbo is to pass onto my fellow members on these forums, while the thought is in my head now, I have sent an email out now asking for the full details, I shall let you know the moment that I do!

I Have taken fully on board what you say about the aquamist, don't fancy driving my car to that kind of a level around a track as it is my only mode of transport, but should I get another car, well !!!!!
All the best, and have a good weekend!

Hi there, spoke to Abbott Racing yesterday, I now know what my turbo actually is! it is a TD04 L-14T which is standard on a 93ss Aero, but with the insides totally modified and machined including an exhaust impellor 6mm larger than standard and other changed components inside that I must confess! I don't quite understand the functioning off.

Last edited:
Hi all, well the beast is now back from Neo bros after yet another change of spark plugs, a full engine diagnostic, and a bespoke remap just for my car by Frederic who is one of their diagnostic boffins!

Well what a difference!! no more coughing or misfires, just pure progressive power! still struggling to get too terms with such a huge difference!

A big thank you! to Andy at Neo's for all of his efforts on my little baby.

Car is being booked into them again next week for the 4 pot front brake calipers and disc's for the much needed better stopping power.

The bill, when it was presented to me for all this, I think was swopped by mistake for a third world national debt of some kind!! all the strength in my legs just drained away, I was duly helped over to a seat and served coffee, lol
Glad its done though! Marvellous!

Hi Aikmanson, The power was recorded after the remap works from Neo Bros, and all these guys are pure Saab, they have recommended that I stick to the factory air filter arrangement but install a maptun performance filter? I must admit I was a little surprised by this, as everyone keeps saying Induction kits are the way to go, MORE AIR!! I am taking the Beast back to the garage this wednesday for the beefier brake setup to be installed, so I shall quiz them further on this air filter thing as I need to know why? Will let you know more when I do.

All the best ;)

Hi all, well I had the 4 pot Nex brake calipers and discs fitted to my car last night at Neo Bros, what a difference! touch the brake and your nose will be on the windscreen! They also talked me into a new twin exhaust system and a MapTun performance air filter, had to leave there quick before they had my gold fillings out as well! lol.

But seriously, there is a big difference on performance now, what I did notice was that the car starts quicker on the key with a smoother tickover, and throttle response has a much reduced lag now! ;)

One question, how much money do you have haha? I'm kidding obviously.

But wow this does sound like a beast now, you should show us pictures when you get the time!

Cheers chaps, I am in a very fortunate position of being my own boss, with a loyal workforce, no kids "yet" don't take holidays as i'm a workaholic! so this leaves me a few pennies to be able to invest in the love of my life, apart from her indoors off course! which is big boys toys! struggling to put more photos here! but have put some in my album on my profile for you to have a look at, ;)

Hard to say really? the carbon fibre bonnet louvres cost me £1200 to cut in and then these are ducted into the factory air filter. Power gain was slightly noticeable, but did not release its full potential until I had it remapped, the mixture was too lean because the fuel could not keep up.
Great in the winter time when the air is cold but no huge gains in the summertime that I noticed when the air is warm to hot.

Which brings me onto my next inspirational idea I had a short while ago for this problem while opening a fridge door believe it or not??? :amazed:

I am trying to work out a way to force the warm outside air into a seperate cyclone chamber that will create a vortex within the chamber which has an intake link to the AC to cool the air before it goes into the engine! ;) Sounds like a winner to me but time will tell! I Will let you know how I get on!

oor have a spray system for the intercooler to spray water on it when you reach a certian boost. say 5psi so by the time your on full boost then it is already starting to work.

Bit of advice here T9, the import Scoobies run the TD04 turbo as standard but the higher end models run the TD05 and I have seen some peeps running the TD06. So not sure if you buy another turbo thats bigger and cut and weld you flange onto it. Seen it done a few times and this is what was done for my scooby when it had the TD05 put on inplace of the TD04. Not sure if thats anygood but might be worth looking into.

Great stuff! many thanks for the turbo pointers BAD63R! I shall put your suggestions to a couple of garages that I trust and see what they can come up with for me, will let you know how it all works out! ;)

Thanks for the good idea pgarner, I shall take a look at this one also!
my problem at the moment is the complete lack of real useable space under the bonnet of the beast. I have been exploring a small version that I built on a testbed and the theory is sound.
I had looked at a remote version working from the boot but the distance to be covered with respect to the air velocity/force required makes this an impractical solution at present. I still have to overcome some practical and logistical issues also! will stick at it though ;)

After much research and ear bending to many suppliers, I have just ordered a cold induction system specifically for my model from BSR in Surrey. Hopefully it will arrive sometime tomorrow, then I will be having some of the components sent straight over to the powdercoaters to be colour coded to match the rest of the engine covers, will post some pics and let you know how this all works out soon.

After much research and ear bending to many suppliers, I have just ordered a cold induction system specifically for my model from BSR in Surrey. Hopefully it will arrive sometime tomorrow, then I will be having some of the components sent straight over to the powdercoaters to be colour coded to match the rest of the engine covers, will post some pics and let you know how this all works out soon.

Have finally after all the delays - back order, delivery, had the BSR Induction kit fitted and it was definately worth the wait! will post up a photo tomorrow if the weather holds? ;)