Food for thought

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
After watching the video I wondered what others think about the following thoughts.

Should all drivers who wish to buy/drive a car above a certain power to weight ratio have to have a mandated say 1 day or more of instruction by an approved advanced driving trainer and be assessed as competent to drive such a hi powered vehicle before being allowed to buy??

Having the skill/ability to pay for any hi performance car does not automatically endow one with the skills to operate it safely especially if one starts to use most/all of the power/performance available in the wrong environment ie public roads IMHO

Sadly this will never happen but I thought my thoughts would hopefully start an interesting discussion of the pros and cons of my proposal and am sure will be some that will agree and others strongly opposed.

PS the idiot in the VW needs locking up for a long time IMO

Last edited:
I agree with you. Motorbike power levels are restricted based on a riders age/experience and training. It would not be impossible to do the same with cars.

I went to get my A4 Quattro insured and was asked if I had experience and had previously driven a similar class of car but I think that is the exception.

The cost of insurance puts many drivers out of the market for high power cars but if you have money then you don't have sense and we see this regularly when young drivers get high power cars and write them off very quickly!

I went to get my A4 Quattro insured and was asked if I had experience and had previously driven a similar class of car but I think that is the exception.
It is an exception, but I had the same question for insuring my scooby.

The cost of insurance puts many drivers out of the market for high power cars but if you have money then you don't have sense and we see this regularly when young drivers get high power cars and write them off very quickly!
Rich parents with spoilt offspring have a lot to answer for.

The big problem are those who buy the cars for the looks and have no clue on how to drive them without spinning out, i think that there should be a legally enforced rule that means that drivers with under 10 years of driving experience should have advanced driver training on the track from before being allowed to own the keys to 300bhp or more car like a 911 or Mustang v8 for example

P.S im 21 and have had such drivers training (plus i race 1000cc karts for the military)

I am not sure that track experience is much good when it comes to public road driving. It can be counter productive as track driving only works when the other drivers obey track etiquette. This doesn't happen on the road. Driving a kart is nothing like driving a 1 tonne 600bhp car on treaded tyres on a public road. Race track training should be kept on the track.

Regardless of the skill level, driving fast on the public road will result in disaster. The main reason for this, other than single vehicle loss of control crashes, is that the other road users will make their decisions on their perceived speed of approaching vehicles, partially based on what they expect a car to be doing.

I am not sure why someone with over ten years driving experience will have any better chance of handling a powerful car than someone with only a couple. If they have spent that time driving an i10 they will have no idea how to drive a Lambo or Ferrari.

I agree that there should be some sort of training, but it needs to be public road training, not track. If caught speeding or causing an accident after this then their licence to drive powerful cars should be revoked until further training has been undertaken.

These people are mongs. Know when and where and how to drive. It's not that hard though you wouldn't know it, even on the average commute.

America has a food waste problem. But I’ve rarely been clear on how that translates to how I actually treat the food in my refrigerator. Because what can you do, right? When the date says it’s done, it’s done, right?

Apparently, very wrong. Researchers have found that “expiration” dates — which rarely correspond to food actually expiring or spoiling — are mostly well-intentioned, but haphazard and confusing.

I think you got it wrong, this is not what this thread is all about. I hope that you're aware that this was a 2016 post.