Flooding near you

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the flooding like near you? Down here most of our fields look like lakes. It's quite pretty but the roads are pretty dangerous with deep sitting water in lots of places.

Do you have any tips for driving through flooded roads to pass on to the new drivers among us?

dont do it ! if at all possible,but if you must,the aim is a steady speed,enough to create a small bow wave in front of you vehicle.do not try to traverse flooded fjords, as you vehicle can be lifted off its wheels and away you will go !

According to some expert on the BBC, you should drive slowly and keep the revs of the car high by engaging the clutch slightly for a manual or driving with high revs against the brake in an automatic or you risk the car cutting out on you.

The clutch needs to be fully engaged and drive at a steady speed on the crown of the road where the depth should be less and if you want toi be doubly sure place something say a coat,blanket,bag,small tarp over the grille to prevent water being sprayed over the electrics by the fan and when safely on the other side and remove whatever you had over the grille drive with a bit of left foot brake pressure to ensure the brakes are 100%. This is of particular importance if you have drum brakes as they catch and hold water and take longer to dry out whereas discs will fling it away due to centrifugal force.

Easiest and most sensible thing is to wait for something else to go through even if is a tractor That way you can see how deep it is .

Steady speed is the key obviously not too fast nut certainly clutch fully engages and in first gear as revs will be highest so less chance of cutting out.

I see the pics of Somerset and first I think, why does ANYONE still live there? Then I think maybe they should excavate a HUGE lake for the water to accumulate in and then it could be a reservoir in dry times.