Fixing an old relic 1962 Mercedes

Car
1962 190-SL
A 1962 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL has been in my family for generations and has been sitting in a garage for I’d estimate 20 years. I do not know a lot about cars but as far as I know it is in great shape I am just curious what it would take to get running again. What would it cost and could I do it myself as a complete amateur with cars.

Hello and welcome Jimmy |B

I would recommend that you join a MB vintage car club as members dedicated to the brand will be more than willing to help or search the web for MB specific info as well as buy a workshop manual for the 190 and take your time reading and absorbing all the info in it .

When I dismantle things I tend to lay the parts out in order of removal so reassembly is the reverse order.

Take plenty of pics as well.

I'm sure that there are plenty of "how to fix"various things videos around

Good luck in your project and keep us informed with progress.

Last edited:
Definitely have a go yourself, it's the best way of learning. Take off the head and look inside the engine, rust can be a problem if it's been standing for a long time, if it looks ok then just replace the hoses and leads.

They were very well built so I would be surprised if it's not a fairly easy fixer upper. Can you find a local breakers yard with suitable donor car parts? It will make things a lot easier, but I know these are pretty rare cars nowadays.