fitting a turbo to an FTO?

Pidge

Car
Manual FTO Mivec
Right then,I am after fitting a turbo to my one of our fto's and would be happy to hear any hint or tips anyone has as i am a complete noob to this :confused:

We get asked this question a lot so have a look at this thread which covers the basics.
I have to admire your ambition though!:D

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.:confused:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type. This is not the sort of modification unless you are mechanically competent.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are easier to install than a turbo is.

Have you looked at the eaiser and more rewarding (in terms of power gains) option of fitting an Evo engine?

Cheers for that wayne, I did look into the evo but would want to do like marco has and fit a evo floor pan and have it full 4wd.

I really don't know what to do at the moment just know i want to do something as i used to change my car every 6 months but have had this one for nearly 2 years now. I love the curves and style of them just wouldn't mind more power.

A friend of mine has a turbo'd fto but sadly has had a bit of a problem with it....

(Sorry link removed, site requires log in to view, Loz)

I just thought i would look into what was possible and then do my homework before jumping into a half hearted project that could be the end of the car if i get it wrong.

hello
ive just got all the bits for my fto to turbo it, just having time to fit it. im going for a remote turbo so hopefully pressure drop wont bugger engine up (he says lol) only one way to find out.

There's no point running a remote turbo, they should only be use as a very last resort when you have no room. There's plenty of room in the fto engine bay to fit a huge turbo. Have you done your homework and calculated runner lengths and diameter for your turbo, as the lengths dictate where peak torque will be.