Fitting a turbo .........some do's and dont,s

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
From the first post

It isn’t meant for fully qualified mechanics or tuning gurus and has been kept pretty basic for that reason. If you are either of those this thread wont tell you anything .

I’m also not going to explain the ins and outs of how a turbo works because that isn’t the what the thread about it s just a real basic guide and is an answer to the daily queston we get can I put a turbo on my na *********

If anyone wants an in depth discussion about turbos start another thread . Same if you want to discuss your car.

Grug

From
mn
Car
98 chevy 4.3 4/2 wt
I understand what the turbo does, but, how does it affect mpg when yo are just cruising around, not standing on it?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
From
Deal, Kent UK
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It should increase the efficiency of the engine.

More air does mean you burn more fuel but as you are making more power you need less throttle hence the saving. So if you use less throttle due to the greater power you have you'll be using less fuel.

As with everything there are exceptions and each application is different so I've answered from a general all things being ideal perspective.

Hutch106

Wrench Pro
From
South West
Car
106T
Loving the thread, a lot can boil down to trial and error sometimes, especially if you are turbo charging something that has been rarely done. At some point someone will have completed the R&D for you and figured out what works and what doesn't. Bolting a turbo on a predominantly N/A car is brilliant, the gains to be had are outstanding. 1.4 Pug 106 approximately 65-80 Hp, now 1.6 and running over 4 times the power by just adding a turbo and associated parts into the mix. Great post......

mselectronic

From
Romania
Car
Ford Ka MK1, Endura
Hello everyone. One o'them new guys here :)
I was thinking about turbocharging my MK1 Ford Ka with the Endura-E engine. So...i'm gathering information. My question is this: is there some way to calculate how much power would be gained by this ? I'm not trying to build a rocket here; it's mostly about the work and satisfaction, but still i'd like to see some results. The stock engine 1.3L and gives about 50hp. So i was thinking about adding a turbine from a 1,3L Corsa diesel engine. So...how much power wold that make, roughly ?
Thank you.

SLEEPER

Pro Tuner
as stated before the turbo should match the engine it is going on , Diesels are totally different to petrol when it comes to fitting a turbo

pretty sure the endura engine is petrol - if so dont put a diesel turbo on it full stop,

mselectronic

From
Romania
Car
Ford Ka MK1, Endura
Thanks for the reply, Sleeper, but please elaborate. I know how diesels and ottos work. I know (at least some of) the differences. The Endura-E is, indeed, petrol. So what would be the important things to look for when selecting my turbine ? For example, if I were to use a turbine from a diesel (they are easyer to find and cheaper), should it be from a bigger or a smaller engine ? How about this: https://www.olx.ro/oferta/turbo-turbina-turbosuflanta-opel-corsa-c-fiat-suzuki-ID6cAoa.html ? It seems aftermarket or...universal or something.