finaly got some boost.

darkdonz

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi A4 1.8T
albeit only 3-4 psi but its a start,as some of you are aware i just brougt an A4 1.8T of which i thought was a stallion but it turned out to be a donkey!!!:embarrest: heres what the issue was with the boost,turns out it was the actuator rod that had snapped. luckily there was about three threads left on it, so i wound the threaded section forward a touch then wound it back onto the remainding thread on the actuator arm put the whole lot back together again i.e cat-turbo,turbo-manifold,manifold-head, hoses back on,new coolant and whoooosh i can now hear the turbosmart bov above the engine and i got me some boost.:grin:
the turbo gods have once again smiled on me in fact they are probably giggling their bits off.:lol:

better than the big fat zero i had yesterday once i sort the boost leaks out i'm pretty sure i can get it higher.
It's only until i can afford a ko4 and re-map, it's kinda hard modding when i got two cars a van two kids two cats a dog and a high maintinance wife if you see where i'm comming from.

I know what you mean about High Maintenence Mrs :lol: Mine cost me a fortune in handbags every time I want to do something to my car:( and the way its chucking smoke out the back when my turbo's on boost it's sounding expensive:(:(:(
Hope you can get it sorted out soon

Happy Boosting

Andy

sorry to here about the smoke fella, could be the valve stem seals, if you think its the oiler on the turbo check out ebay for recon kits for your make of turbo i,ve found some for my stock ko3 for about £15.

stock Ko3 should be around 7psi later models, post 2001 (ko3s although VAG never called them that) are 10 psi. so your still missing a bit.

where are you getting your readings from ? is its a guage is it a cheap guage your using ? best one to use would be find someone with vagcom to scan measuring block ??? ( i think its 110 but would need to check ) to look at the requested boost and actual boost to see if theres more leaks

to be completly honest yes i'ts a cheap one i think because it came from halfords, it's an autogauge and cost me £25 but its sole purpose was to indicate whether or not i had any boost at all with a view to buying somthing a bit tasty later on. As for the boost leaks i'm going to fabricate my own test rig, primative and crude but effective(hopefuly)

ahh ill not say anything about the halfords one - plenty will have already commented on it across the tinterweb.

test rig - smoke machine :D
theres a few common pipes to go most notably the Y connector on the RHS of the rockercover