Finally got the HDI Remapped

Bertrum

Torque Junkie
Car
Mondeo Zetec S TDCi
Well, after alot of time and a change of circumstances I finally got round to getting the 406 remapped.

Got it done yesterday and there is nothing to say but WOW!
Didnt take long to do the change is very impressive.

Boosts earlier, harder and for longer aswell. The engine used to run out of puff from 3.5k but now goes well upto the "red line" and will embarass quite a few cars when you put your foot down.

Anyone with a modern(ish) (think 2001 and onwards) turbo diesel should get this done right away.

Big thanks to Lemon S3 who carried out the remap! Cheers Buddy!

Go and enjoy all that torque. The 2.2 is a perfect candidate for ECu remapping - standard tune is very conservative.

Over a few hundred miles I expect you'll find it will get quicker and smoother still, the ECU 'learns' it's own overlay remap to suit your particular engine and driving style.

I guess I should link you this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoEmqfNyUo

yes it is a mondeo not a 406....but the engine is the same...
2.2hdi and 2.2 tdci are the same

that guy does have other stuff on his though not just a remap...but it goes to show what those engines are capable of....
and jarrus464 on youtube is me also
i find it hard people can't accept that diesels are far better now...

that guy does have other stuff on his though not just a remap...but it goes to show what those engines are capable of....

goes to show 190 at the wheels is what the focus would roughly have been. normally the petrol would be quicker off the mark but the diesel catches up later

Yeah, but the diesel probebly has nearly double the torque of the petrol....
@hdi....I'm sure you're right however I doubt they have changed anything mechanically...but obviously the map is different and it may have a better fuel pump...

I wouldn't pay too much attention to TN69s opionions of diesel. His experience is based around a 1.8 TD Mondeo he owned some years ago. Who else would buy a Focus Cabriolet and specify the 1.6 litre engine?

Yeah, but the diesel probebly has nearly double the torque of the petrol....
@hdi....I'm sure you're right however I doubt they have changed anything mechanically...but obviously the map is different and it may have a better fuel pump...

The HDi engines are totally different to the XUDs. The fuel delivery is at massive pressure and the timing is controlled electronically, not mechanically just for starters.

The XUD engines have timed fuel pumps in the way that all mechanical diesels do.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to TN69s opionions of diesel. His experience is based around a 1.8 TD Mondeo he owned some years ago. Who else would buy a Focus Cabriolet and specify the 1.6 litre engine?

I've had my fair share of diesels my friend. And who's got a Focus Cabriolet cause I for one Haven't!
The choice with the Focus was down to my son. It is a car for him at the end of the day and it doesn't need to be fast for that purpose.
For economy then yes the diesel will win but for out right performance the petrol wins everytime. CC for CC the petrol will come out on top.

I truly thought you had a 58 plate Focus. We discussed something to do with it and little Citroen thing you had on loan when it was being serviced. Or am I losing the last few remaining marbles?

Ever_feel_like_you_are_losing_your_marbles.gif

:lol::lol::lol: The Focus had the worst launch I've ever seen, must've been sleeping when the Mondeo set off. Also the Mondy has a fair few mondifications, uprate the air filter, exhaust and intercooler on the Focus and then remap it and...see ya!

I'm completely unbiased, after all I'd be driving a diesel Alfa right now if I hadn't written it off. Diesels are much better than they used to be, but better than petrol? Laughable.

At last someone with some sense. Nice one MA.:bigsmile:
I raced my mate the other day in his 1.8 Mondeo down a country lane and he kept up on the straight but I left him for dead in the bends.:amuse:

lemons3 looking to get my fabia vrs remapped you got a website or a number? im looking around atm and was going to go with angel tunning but after that reccomendation i cant really go wrong i dont think??

When I do find it gets silly is when some berk in a 1.2 Corsa with a big bore tailpipe insists that it'll outrun a 535d just because its petrol. That's the kind anti-diesel of silliness that winds me up.

Petrol engines are developing at quite a rate as well and a current VAG TFSi is a very tempting prospect for power and economy.

hi hdi fun has the bloke who remapped your car gotta website?
nah i hate them lads the day i picked my vrs up coming down a road where i live and bloke in a corsa wouldnt let me overtake eventualy got to a point where he overtook raggin the #!#!#!#! out of his car i followed and litteraly pulled up along side him undone my window shouted into the lads why bother and jusy carried on??? lol really though ya know?

hi hdi fun has the bloke who remapped your car gotta website?
nah i hate them lads the day i picked my vrs up coming down a road where i live and bloke in a corsa wouldnt let me overtake eventualy got to a point where he overtook raggin the #!#!#!#! out of his car i followed and litteraly pulled up along side him undone my window shouted into the lads why bother and jusy carried on??? lol really though ya know?

I know, it is a wind up. You leave a restricted area and accelerate swiftly to 70-80mph. Leaving said Corsa (or Nova, Clio, whatever baby car) miles behind.

Ten minutes later it finally catches up. But it's taken ten minutes to do so !!

Diesel does has two inherent benefits over petrol. Firstly, there is no throttle so pumping losses due to thermal hysterisis is small. Secondly, brake mean effective (cylinder) pressure is higher. Diesels are ideal for turbocharging because air/fuel ratio is not critical, hence no need for dump valves.

I don't have a problem with petrol cars at all; currently manufacturers seem to be spending some time and effort turbocharging their ranges of petrol engines which does bring huge benefits in torque, power and economy.

I just think for some years diesel has had the lion's share of engine designers' attention and that's why they're so good now. Not perfect, I agree.

Penny for penny at new purchase I think you get more performance for your money with a diesel engine because there are still not enough turbo petrol options available.

Whether it's truly economical in the long run is questionable. Long term (say over ten years of ownership) servicing costs are higher with a diesel engine than a similarly priced petrol car.

You pays yer money and ................. you know the rest.

lemons3 looking to get my fabia vrs remapped you got a website or a number? im looking around atm and was going to go with angel tunning but after that reccomendation i cant really go wrong i dont think??

Hi. Lemon S3's old man here. He is out at the moment, but his contact number is 07592 060764

cheers steve nice one ill save that will be getting hold of him soon thanks! im not overley fussed when looking at cars wether its petrol or deisel i way it up at the time like i check a couple of models out that i like look at what engines they have to offer and decide then through insurance servicing and mpg and that you know i think if u want something that much being a deisel or too opinionated shouldnt stop you having it. just my point of view.. cheers hdi fun cant wait to get my motor remapped!

I'm guessing it's the 1.9tdi 130bhp? If so the remap takes it to 193bhp and the torque from 228 lb/ft to 309 lb/ft.

Not sure if I'll get in trouble for doing this but my website is http://www.apbperformance.co.uk
My dads given you my number already but it's also on the site.

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back