finally a new Fiesta RS Turbo owner :)

right everyone after the sale of the previous car fell through (less said the better) :wall:
i had a great bit of luck and dropped on this motor from a cracking guy from up cumbria :god:
its totally different spec wise to the white one i was going to get and i actually prefer that if im honest as its a lovely base to make a great car from and not ruin the oe looks/charm of it too much. :top:

its a 1990 car in red
totally standard engine wise apart from a receipt for some form of hybrid turbo
stainless system
lowered suspension
had a resto a few years ago and is in great shape nice and solid in all the usual areas.
also had an engine rebuild a few years ago

the car has not been on the road since 2014 but the current owner took the car for a pre mot on monday and it failed on the following

emissions too high
handbrake cable needs adjusting
spare wheel needs a tyre
one headlight not working
reverse light switch intermittent

and that was it so the plan is to give the car a real good full service including the following

oil and filter
ht leads and denso ik27 plugs
fuel filter
uprated frst fuel pump
coolant change
drive belt
cam belt and water pump kit
new set of wipers all round
new set of bulbs all round

the owner also informs me that the turbo will need a rebuild which is not a problem as it will go to my mate wilky for the said work and possibly a bit more of his magic work.

i also have my other mate who is a professional detailer booked in for the end of march to give the car a full paint correction detail and interior valet etc etc so the car will look spot on once done.

the plans are then to refit rebuilt turbo and then get the car an m.o.t. once this is done ill be calling msd for one of there set up sessions and if all well followed by there stage 3 conversion on the same day :)

looks wise with the car i dont really want to change anything apart from i think its crying out for the period 4" tailpipe on there :DD:

anyway enough babbling from me for now here are a few pics for you all

had a nice little delivery off the postman :)

emerald k6 ecu now just need sort a loom out and we are pretty much good to go once iv ran this engine in :)

just wanted do a quick update on the car

nothing much has happened since the last update its tucked away in the garage until at least march but you never know i could pull it out before then for a few miles.

i have my detailing mate booked in for march/april time to come and give the car a good once over/machine polish etc to make it spot on for 2019 in time for the show season.

biggest plan is just to bloody use the car get these miles done so we can drop the oil and put some proper 10w50 in there and up the boost/power like iv said previously not looking at anything out the ordinary if it makes a good solid 180bhp id be happy (for now) haha.

i am in search for a good oe gearknob as mine is completely worn out but not having any joy especially when 2 nos ones sold on ebay for £350+

definately looking at doing a few shows next year and looking at putting at least one dyno day on at some point through the summer/autumn time

after updating on the car ealier i thought to myself im going get my backside out to the car and do all the final checks ready for the winter setting in.
ran the car upto temp started on the button and sounded great just like an rs turbo should do, checked all levels, put some more air in the tyres etc etc just the little things really, then disconnected the battery.

i wish id of waited and had my bath after id done the above as i now smell of shells finest super unleaded haha

took a quick couple of pics

not the most exiting update in the workd but its something thats really bugged me since getting the car

iv managed to source a vgc genuine turbo steering wheel to replace my completely worn/ stitchs ruined etc one, also bought a ford ka gearknob which are near enough the same as the turbo one (the last 2 genuine new ones on ebay went for £300-400 and a decent 2nd hand was 100+. The gearknob is mine is same case as the steering wheel even the leather is beyond repair.

then the last thing iv always wanted to do is tidy up the interior grey door plastics, mine have faded and got lots of surface marks/scratches on them. So after some help via a fb frst page i was pointed in the direction of a company called innotec who do the correct mid grey spray to spruce them up.

Im hoping get a spare half hour at the weekend to fit the new bits and then remove all the plastics ready to paint next weekend :)

had a spare 15 mins yesterday morning so i got the replacement steering wheel and gearknob fitted

temporary richmond gearknob

replacement ford ka gearknob, very impressed with how close to a turbo one this is

old steering wheel, camera really doesnt pick up just how tatty/worn it is

replacement far better

whilst in the car i took a quick pic of the stack oil pressure and boost gauges, really do think these suit the older motors and look right at home there

This weekend all being well ill be removing the door plastics and painting them which is going make a huge difference imo

not the most exiting update in the world again but iv purchased a pair of fiesta mk3.5 door mirrors to go onto the car, The one thing i really dont like on these is the god awful looking oe mirrors.

I will fit these this coming saturday whilst doing the interior plastics etc

I have another update that i imagine you will find far more interesting.

ill lets the pics do the talking then explain a bit further

As you can see iv bought a t3 turbo complete with virtually everything to convert my car to run it, i will be sending it off to wilky for a rebuild and to get cosworth t3 internals fitted along with a .48 turbine housing so a stage 3 t3 :)

it wont be fitted for some time yet as i of course am going to run the car on its current set up for most of this year just so i can bloody use the car finally, dont want it being off the road throughout the show season etc.

iv been speaking to my good mate a hell of alot this last year or so and seeing his engine build has made me want to push things a little further although nowhere near the extent to what he has gone to.

so the plan will be
fit the turbo and downpipe etc
standalone ecu
headwork ( A.L Developments)

ill get the car mapped and have it capped to around 220bhp then play gearbox roullette for a while, the eventual plan will be to go forged bottom end and uprated gearbox/lsd etc with a target of 250+

Hey Andy you are on a very slippery slope once you start playing with turbos and start tweaking them for more power.

I predict that you will soon be hooked if not already :)

Been there done that ;) .V(

TIP when you get the turbo recoed get it hi flowed @ the same time |B

Hey Andy you are on a very slippery slope once you start playing with turbos and start tweaking them for more power.

I predict that you will soon be hooked if not already :)

Been there done that ;) .V(

TIP when you get the turbo recoed get it hi flowed @ the same time |B

oh im well and truly hooked mate haha this is my 4th turbocharged car (i own 2 atm)

my renault 5 gt turbo was over double the power of standard on a cracking turbo that i mostly specced.

the old octavia vrs was remapped and had plans go for a bigger turbo but decided sell up and get another car for the wife.

our current st180 is fully stage 2 atm and has everything in place to go stage 3/4 whenever i decide to hit the button and go for 330+bhp

T3 has been collected, i asked a guy who i go a long way with back on passionford if he could collect it for me as it was located in liverpool which he did for me really good of him to do so
icon_smile.gif

He has confirmed what the seller says that its had a rebuild and not been used since, also as you can see has a -31 or similar actuator on there which is a bonus. I did ask the guy i bought it off what spec it was built to but he has no idea as he bought it from someone else already rebuilt but just hasnt got around to using it.

T3 arrived yesterday so i removed the exhaust manifold,oil return and water pipes so i can send it off to wilky (bernies blowers) so he can work some of his magic on it.
This will be a billet comp wheel 50 or 55 trim i cant remember off top of my head then a rst .48 exhaust housing/elbow so a stage 3 T3 really.

I have ordered a chip from MSD to suit the t3/beige injectors etc etc.

Now dont worry im still going standalone ecu along with forged bottom end/headwork etc but this will be done over next winter as i dont want to have pull the car off the road this year.
The chip was my happy medium choice to keep it on the road and give it some much needed extra poke.

Also have ordered a 60mm throttle body which will be fitted straight away but id imagine it will work best with the ported head etc but surely cant do any harm for now.

The plan is to run the engine in on the T2 then drop the oil, put some 10w50 and fit the T3, beige injectors and chip along with doing the clutch pedal mod as i have an uprated clutch in atm.

I will of course have the car fine tuned once the chip is in up at GT Motorsport :)

so all bein well around mid march the car will be back out getting a few miles put on it then sometime in April hopefully have the T3 on and some more power :)

Sounds like a good plan|B

When your turbo is at Bernies you may want to ask if porting the exit of the snail will help getting air out and result in faster spooling up of the compressor.

off for a little child free weekend away up the lake district today with the wife, so after some consideration i taxed the car last night and will be using it to do around 250 miles inc any little drives out whilst up there.

going to have a stop about halfway point to make sure all is ok as iv never driven the car more than about 15-20 miles in one sitting and of course all the engine is new so want to keep an eye on things.

checked out the weather and nothing out of the norm for this time of year, no snow forecast etc but for anyone worried about my car rusting away in a weekend (yes iv already had a comment of salt on roads wont be good for fuel filler panel) actually made me laugh, ill be giving the car a good wash off once back on monday.

ill try get some pics and maybe even vids of the trip fingers crossed all goes well

Had a little trip out to Congleton earlier to quote a job so decided take the Fiesta get some miles on the engine.

stuck my Eintracht Frankfurt club crest sticker on which Lennon chose the spot for

Had a little diversion to the aunties after for a quick visit.

Lennon loves daddies red car a little petrolhead for sure, copies all th noises and keeps trying egg me on go fast :)
#

Must say the car drove great, temps all bang on etc i can feel the engine starting to loosen up a bit as well (its now done just over 50 miles since rebuild).

one thing thats very noticeable is just how poor the stock brakes are though so im glad iv got a set of st170 front brakes to fit along with my 5 spoke mondeo si alloys.

fingers crossed the weather is the same next sunday as a drive over the peak district will be on the cards with a pub lunch chucked in for good measure :)

Today i pulled the car out to give it a much needed wash and mini detail, my intention was to go out for a drive after with my little lad but someone forgot to get the seat out of the other fiesta this morning .V(

got a couple of pics, i did take 3 more which would of been real good ones but for some reason they didnt take properly

So the plan is to first of all go to the gym in the morning, then we are all off out for a drive to carsington waters in the peak district.
nice little drive out and somewhere for the little one to let off some steam. Im sure we will call into a nice country pub on the way back for some food and a beer.

i will do my best to get a few pics :)

On Sunday we all had a day out over the peak district which ended up at Carsington water in Ashbourne, we also stopped off at a nice little country pub in Thorncliffe on the way back home. Did a total of 60 miles round trip which is by far the most iv done and is probably the most its done in a year since iv owned it (currently have 110 miles on the fresh engine).

Im honestly not one to ever blow my own trumpet etc but it was unreal at just how much attention the car got, firstly at the petrol station on our way out then out on the road, and as soon as we got to carsington one of the staff there stuck his thumb up and shouted nice car :).

Car out and ready to go for its longest trip since iv owned it

we were so lucky to get this parent and child place it was so busy there as they had some running event on.

lennon insisted on having a pic with 'daddies red race car'

I have now booked the car in to be properly set up as its still massively running rich which we dont want at all, so getting that sorted on march 20th then it wont be far off time to drop this oil and get the stage 3 t3/chip etc on there :)

Looking great pal.

You really don't see many on the road anymore. Especially in the condition of yours.

Carsington is a gorgeous place. Used to go there alot. Great place for a nice walk when the weather is good. |B

Looking great pal.

You really don't see many on the road anymore. Especially in the condition of yours.

Carsington is a gorgeous place. Used to go there alot. Great place for a nice walk when the weather is good. |B

thanks alot mate really appreciate the kind comments :)

it really is we are so lucky to have the peak district virtually on our doorstep, think the next little outing will be to manifold valley.

One half thinking, "bloody noisy little Fiesta."
The other half, "RS, nice to see one still going."

haha something like that

It's a great looking car bud. Good to see some are still being well looked after.

Never been to Manifold Valley myself. It looks a lovely place though and deffo worth a visit one day.
It's a bucket list off places to see.

It's a great looking car bud. Good to see some are still being well looked after.

Never been to Manifold Valley myself. It looks a lovely place though and deffo worth a visit one day.
It's a bucket list off places to see.

thanks again mate really good to hear such great feedback, certainly helps make it all worthwhile.

i actually had a check again recently at how many are registered and only 150 registered around 760 as sorn.

Honestly mate get yourself there its really good, matlock bath is another one and of course dovedale.

Credit where credit is due fella. It really is good to see a fine example still going.

Love RS's me. I really really wish I had garaged mine years ago rather than selling it.
Other than the wheels it was more or less exactly the same.

It was a genuine 280bhp at the wheels. Went like stink to be fair.. At the time it destroyed Cossies, Evo's and Sti's.

They are great cars for what they are and will always be a favourite Ford for me.

Don't ever sell it mate. That's my only advice. Is don't ever sell it.

I know Matlock very well. Used to go every summer. I love bikes as well. So Matlock in the summer is brilliant.
I've been Dovedale a few times. Again a great place to be during the summer.

Keep up the great work mate. Really is amazing to see a much loved old RS. You don't see many at all nowadays unless you venture to a dedicated meet or show.

Brilliant cars. Despite the hate for Ford's in general by alot of people. Those in the know, know how good they actually was and still are in my opinion.

Credit where credit is due fella. It really is good to see a fine example still going.

Love RS's me. I really really wish I had garaged mine years ago rather than selling it.
Other than the wheels it was more or less exactly the same.

It was a genuine 280bhp at the wheels. Went like stink to be fair.. At the time it destroyed Cossies, Evo's and Sti's.

They are great cars for what they are and will always be a favourite Ford for me.

Don't ever sell it mate. That's my only advice. Is don't ever sell it.

I know Matlock very well. Used to go every summer. I love bikes as well. So Matlock in the summer is brilliant.
I've been Dovedale a few times. Again a great place to be during the summer.

Keep up the great work mate. Really is amazing to see a much loved old RS. You don't see many at all nowadays unless you venture to a dedicated meet or show.

Brilliant cars. Despite the hate for Ford's in general by alot of people. Those in the know, know how good they actually was and still are in my opinion.

thanks alot mate i think we are quite luckt that the owners now are real enthusiasts :)

a genuine 280bhp rs turbo is going to be more than a match for anything out in the real world were talking about 310bhp per tonne.

theres certainly no intention to sell in the forseeable future thats for sure.
peak district is amazing really love having it so close its like our local lake district.

out and about yesterday

went to see a guy iv not seen since before i got married 5 n half years ago, hes now got a great set up at a place local to me and is doing me a few jobs on the car over this next week :)

was great to see him again and have a well overdue catch up, its funny just how life flies by and how much can go on in a relatively short space of time.

Been a while since any updates

The car passed its m.o.t yesterday with no advisories :) yet again got alot of compliments from the tester.

I have also fitted the front strut brace and a set of braided brake hoses, the clutch pedal mod has been done and after a slight tweak is now working brilliant feels like a different car.

Also fitted the enlarged 60mm throttle body which is a real nice bit of kit and well done, certainly felt better with it on anyway.

Hopefully we will be out in the car on easter sunday to take advantage of this cracking weather :)

nothing too much to update on the car since the car passed mot in april.

but personally iv had another little set back health wise, been having pains in my groin area for some time now and it finally got to the stage where i went to see the doctor. He then confirmed that id only got a bloody double hernia. As with anything some days are worse than others and im still managing to get in work and do my jobs although they are taking a tad longer than usual.

Anyway the main thing is im off to OCD Productions in Wrexham next Saturday morning, hes a good mate of mine and knows his RS motors inside out and his work is flawless imo.

The car has now done enough miles do have the oil dropped, nice fresh millers 10w/50 oil/filter and fitting of the T3 set up, beige injectors and msd stage 3 chip :) , This should certainly liven things up especially on the stage 3 t3 with billet comp wheel that wilky (bernies blowers) has built me.

had a little setback with fitting the kit, this was down to some previous owner who has had the exhaust chopped near enough in the middle and sleeved over. This meant the T3 downpipe wouldnt fit and it going to need a little bit of modifying to the existing system, Not to worry iv been onto my mate who owns silver systems in leek and he can do it no problem at all.

So Mat has kindly offered to pop up to stoke one weekend fit all the bits ready then ill get the car towed upto the garage and get the exhaust sorted and we can then fit the chip and set the boost etc.

few little updates

noticed the oil dipstick was loose and blowing out, this turned out to be the rubber o ring had broken down over time, so back up to my mum n dads trusty old shed to raid my little parts stash and a new o ring fitted problem solved
icon_smile.gif

Also had a slight coolant leak that seemed to be coming from the lower hose from header tank, so a quick nip up and it seems ok now although not driven it since.

This saturday iv got my brother in law coming across to wire me the afr and oil temp gauges in and obviously fit the a pillar double gauge holder, all it will require then is for us to connect up at downpipe once and and of course fit another sensor to block for the oil temp (i think).

Whilst he is doing that im going to strip as much of the engine down ready to fit the t3 as iv got Mat coming over on sunday to fit all the required bits/oil change etc which is massively good of him to do on his day off.
smile011.gif

The car is then booked in at Silver Systems in Leek on 25th May to get the exhaust cut and mated up to the t3 downpipe, im getting the car trailored upto there, then going to take it easy and drive it back home without coming onto boost etc.

Then its just a matter of removing the ecu and fitting the msd stage 3 chip and setting the boost to 15psi, im then taking thee car upto my mate at GT Motorsport so he can fine tune the fuelling etc and reset me the solid lifters as they have done the miles stated to do so.

all being well i should be out an boosting before we go away in mid june
icon_smile.gif

Yesterday i had my mate Mat (OCD Productions) come across to stoke and help to fit the t3 set up, i had started to strip down the engine ready for when he got here.

t2 off

new and old oil feeds

stage 3 t3 with billet comp wheel by bernies blowers (wilky)

bumper/intercooler and radiator removed

Cant thank mat enough for giving up a huge chunk of his sundayt to come across and get this sorted, and also to my brother in law for coming across to wire in the afr and oil temp gauges which was no easy feat with limited space and a rats nest of wiring.

we have just got 2 little parts that need fitting to the block and turbo then its pretty much ready to run after a coolant top up and obviously priming the turbo, then it will be towed upto silver systems on saturday to get the exhaust work done and straight back to mine then its ready to fit the beige injectors and stage3 msd chip :)

Had another little setback only 1 of the 2 required parts turned up so i had to cancel my slot at the exhaust place on Saturday but completely outta our hands as royal fail struck yet again.

Anyway the part (turbo oil feed union adapter) did turn up on Saturday around 11am but this was another brand new one that id ordered off ebay on the Thursday.

So yesterday afternoon i went out to fit this, got oil pressure to the oil feed, fitted that onto it cranked it over a few times to get some oil around the turbo then refitted the ht leads. Coolant was then filled back up cap left off, engine started and ran upto temp so the fan kicked in a few times.

Im glad to report there didnt seem to be any leaks coming from anywhere the only thing i need to do now is tighten up the nuts from turbo to manifold as we are good to go.

Got to rebook a slot with exhaust place although i might have a word with my mate mark up at gt motorsport see if he wants to do it me as its going be the end of June before i can take it to silver systems.

This coming Sunday we will be doing the following on the car

oil & filter change
fit beige injectors
fit msd stage 3 chip
move radiator/intercooler forward 5-10mm

I have then booked the car in with mark at GT Motorsport so he can set the boost and then give the car a proper set up, then it will be a matter of driving it as much as possible to make sure all is ok and to iron out any potential niggles etc.

I have got the car booked on a local stand at RS Owners Club national day in August so really want the car there, iv booked us into a cracking little place to stay the night before as well :)

got the few jobs sorted at the weekend and the car is now ready for its visit to GT Motorsport on the 25th July.

Made a couple of little changes to the engine bay nothing drastic or anything but i think it makes a nice difference

painted in the efi and turbo bits and got a set of red ht leads from mr retro leads ( really impressed with them and his customer service)

Thanks alot mate appreciate that.

We should have some real good updates coming very soon but don't hold your breath as I'm waiting on a date for my double hernia operation so that could put a big halt on things (6 weeks off work).

Got the car out this morning ready for its trip on the low loader upto GT Motorsport.

Got dropped off up there around 10.30am which is about an hour later than originally planned and mark was stood waiting for it to come in.

Anyway popped into see him when I was on way back from my 2 jobs from today and it's virtually all done .

Can't wait to get the thing back and start using it

had a couple of setbacks with the car

firstly my boost solenoid seems to be knackered and not making any sort of boost so thats being replaced with a bleed valve gone for the exact one i used to have on my old r5 gt turbo which was always spot on.

secondly the newman solid lifters seem to have failed, the thread for adjustment seems to be really loose on a few of them, mark had set them up and it was spot on the left the car running 20 mins and noisy again so id imagine they are working themselves out of the correct positions. Ordered a new set and once they get here iv got take the car back upto GT Motorsport and hes going to sort them, bleed valve and set the boost.

fingers crossed will still all be done in time ready for national day