Fiesta Zetec '04 Mk5, 1.4 tuning ideas

kinglozzer

Car
04 Fiesta Zetec 1.4
Hey guys.

Basically, I'm 17, got the car described above and want to tune it up as best I can, but being a student; I'm on a tight budget. So, pretty-much like everyone else on these forums, I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions? :)

Obviously, I'm going to inform my insurance company about any changes so I wondered what are the best, cheap ways of improving its performance without breaking the bank (my insurance company already bled my dry insuring the damn thing).

I've considered air filters, though apparently they do little more than make the car sound slightly different. Exhausts I haven't really looked into as I was unsure about how much they're likely to affect my premium.

I don't really wanna spend more than about £250 if possible (inc. premium increase) as I simply can't afford anything else! Can barely afford to put petrol in her :sad2:

Thanks for any suggestions :bigsmile:

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

TBH buddy your better off saving up some pennies and some no claims. Then when you've got a bit of both you can go and buy a quickish car rather than trying to squeeze anything out of yours.
To get any amount of power out it will cost you £££££'s. And the insurance will rocket as soon as you modify it.

Hello and welcome to the nuthouse mate ;)

sorry to say this but when i phoned my insurance company up with my 1st car and enquired about an exhaust they wanted to add around £200 to the premium. then your looking at a couple of hundred for a semi decent one if you wit it yourself

id agree with TN run your car as is for a year and also do your past plus. and watch the insurance drop next year

Thanks for the suggestions, actually does sound like a better idea: I'm hopefully going to Uni next year, living at home and will get a £3,000 maintenance loan with very little to spend it on so may use that for a new car.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions, actually does sound like a better idea: I'm hopefully going to Uni next year, living at home and will get a £3,000 maintenance loan with very little to spend it on so may use that for a new car.

Cheers

Just make sure you can afford to run it though mate. A lot of students find they can't afford the maintain the car and run it. When I was at uni I had a Honda Civic.

You could just get yourself some decent sterio system for £250 instead like headunit,front door speakers and maybe sub and amp you can get all this second hand to save some money and dont even need to tell insurance as they normally insure sterio equipment up to about £500.

You could just get yourself some decent sterio system for £250 instead like headunit,front door speakers and maybe sub and amp you can get all this second hand to save some money and dont even need to tell insurance as they normally insure sterio equipment up to about £500.

But that'll add weight and make the car slower...

Computer Graphics

No one does any proper studies these days :)

I know that I will sound like the old git that I am, but I would think very carefully about the course to go on. Computer graphics sounds like fun and great for a hobby, but there are thousands of graphic designers flipping burgers (my daughter knows two) and it is only going to get worse, IMO.

Last edited: