Fiat Punto 1.2 16v

PuntoJordy

Car
Punto 1.2 16v
Just wanted a few tips really on where to start with tuning and modifying as I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this...

I bought my 1.2 16v Punto about 3 months ago, haven't done anything to it other than a few things to its look, but I want to start getting down to more performance. I kinda gather that an induction kit would be the place to start, new air filter etc, but where from there onwards, is there any particular order to get things done?

There's no budget as these will be things I'm doing over time, just wondered if anyone had recommended websites to purchase or places to get things fitted?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Cheers

Oh right, not a lot you can do then imho. Once you are past induction kit (BMC CDA or GSR) and exhaust (Supersprint) you won't get any other good gains without spending major money. Not even any engine swaps worth doing tbh unless you don't mind fabricating mounts, 1.4 Punto GT and both 16VT and 20VT Coupe engines have been fitted in the Mk2 before.

Ah right so not loads I can be doing with it then. Is it going to be more external modifications I take it? Anything in particular I can be doing with that?

Externally? Whatever you want to, it's your car. Personally I prefer the OEM+ sort of look, subtle modifications like lowering a couple of inches, factory bodykits (like the Abarth kit) etc etc....

Unless you plan to keep the car for an indefinite period of time, I would suggest that you save up for a more tunable example! ;)

A set of nice alloys will probably be transferable to your next car if it is also a Fiat or shares the same PCD/Stud pattern.

You can do quite a bit with the 1.2 16v engine. Proper induction and relevant remap will see you through the 100bhp (if engine is in good condition). With a correctly calculated exhaust on top of it you will be in excess of 110bhp.

Anything else will get expensive.

You can do quite a bit with the 1.2 16v engine. Proper induction and relevant remap will see you through the 100bhp (if engine is in good condition). With a correctly calculated exhaust on top of it you will be in excess of 110bhp.

Anything else will get expensive.

I think that's optimistic. People have tried and tried but I've never seen anyone genuinely achieve 110hp with just induction, remap and exhaust from this engine.

I think that's optimistic. People have tried and tried but I've never seen anyone genuinely achieve 110hp with just induction, remap and exhaust from this engine.

With a Supersprint system you won't achieve it, which is the reason for most people having failed to achieve it.

With a Supersprint system you won't achieve it, which is the reason for most people having failed to achieve it.

Alright my curiosity is aroused now, what is actually required then to receive the Punto 1.2 16v holy grail of 110 BHP and who do you recommend to make the exhaust system? :)

Alright my curiosity is aroused now, what is actually required then to receive the Punto 1.2 16v holy grail of 110 BHP and who do you recommend to make the exhaust system? :)

Other than the engine having a service it needs a exhaust (full system) from either T7 or Hayward and Scott, induction from T7 and re-map from TCS or T4P.