Fiat 500 from Italy to UK

siviter2005

Car
Citroen C2 sx
Hi i am in contact with an Italian seller to buy his Fiat 500.
We have agreed on a price however i am not 100% percent on what is involved when importing a car.
Firstly what method would you use of getting the car back, the cheapest preferably?
I was thinking:
1.Get a cheap flight over and drive the car back?
2.Order a shipping container in Genoa, drive the car there myself and then getting it from dover would be the easy bit.
3. Im insured on a "nissan Primastar" im not sure if the car would fit in the back, this is the prefered method as it is the simplest as i can drive both lengths of the journey.
4. private shipping (lorry)... been quoted £850, so way too expensive.
5. Get a towing trailer and put my Citroen C2 through its paces :(

Please let me know what you think would be best to do any any other information i should know about regarding European imports.

Cheers, Liam

Re: Fiat 500 from Itlay to UK

Hello and welcome to the site! Glad to see another person from the wonderful place that is Doncaster. Just out of curiosity, why are you buying from Italy?

Haha hello :)
The main reason is due to the lack of these cars in the uk. Thers also no happy medium, i can only find knackered beyond repair or perfect conditioned ones. I want to buy one cheap, fix it up and see how much it would bring in.

Is it a classic 500?

The DVLA is the place to start. I beleive you can drive the car over here as long as you have the documentation, then you just get it registered in the UK. There may be an SVA test requirement but I think within the EU you should be ok. Things do change a lot in the world of importing so don't assume anything. See what the DVLA say.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...icle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583

(Yup IVA,SVA or MSCA does not apply if imported from the EU.)

You'll also be stuck with the tax rate for the year the car is imported into the UK.

"Vehicle tax will be payable in line with the vehicle’s first registration date in the UK. If the vehicle has been previously registered abroad, the date it's first registered in the UK will determine the amount of vehicle tax that’s payable. DVLA will also allocate a vehicle registration number appropriate to the vehicle’s first registration abroad."

could you not stick a trailer on the back of the Primastar? I'd think a whole car (even one as small as the 500) would be too heavy to put in the back of the van but to pull it on a trailer wouldn't be a problem.

im thinking about just getting a Car trailer dolly and driving in my car to pick it up?

Ive spoke to the DVLA and HMRC. They have given me a form to fill in regarding tax payable on imports, do i fill this in before or after i have my car because it asks questions i may not know if i go to Turin to look at a few cars?

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=MJWKblyzBX8&formId=1013

Last edited:

You're better off using a trailer - stops adding up mileage on the new car. Not sure about the form though

the steering rack, pedals and master cylinder from the Fiat 126 will fit but will need some chassis mods and welding.

Why Turin? Most will be beaten to death there! Seen plenty of 500s further south in much better condition and they are seen as worthless. I would recommend a trailer if you intend buying a rough example as dolly towing is not ideal over a few hundred miles of rough roads. Part trailer load maybe a better option, but it'll need a fork truck to get it on and off!