Fewer old cars around

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I remember years ago that quite a few people drove old cars.

They were often rusty and unreliable.

What happened? I can't recall the last time i saw a rusty car and most cars on the road are under 20 years old.

MOT and scrapage scheme have removed most of them. Also, rust isn't such a problem with modern cars so older ones don't show their age so much. Plus people have more disposable income these days.

MOT and scrapage scheme have removed most of them. Also, rust isn't such a problem with modern cars so older ones don't show their age so much. Plus people have more disposable income these days.

I'm not entirely sure about the latter. The problem with the scrappage scheme for me isn't the £2k allowance. It's finding the other £20k :) I'd have to pimp both the kids

Not all cars cost £22k! In fact many are well below that. The Fiesta Zetec, for example, is less than £12k new. Plus, second hand cars only a few years old sell for very little compared to years gone by.

Yes, late used models are good value. Sadly a Fiesta won't fit my requirements space wise and I've spent too much on this panic-purchase Passat to throw it away now.

My FTO is 21 years old next month!

It does have a little bit of rust which I am working towards cutting out and replacing.

Pretty much any rust free old car (say 25 + years old ) is now worth much more than they used to be . So they are almost all now owned by people that drive them as a second or third car which is why you see them less although if you want to see one try looking on a Sunday when the weathers good
Rusty versions now fail the mot so are either restored or used as spares.

The funny thing is when you go to France you'll see 30 year old Peugeots and Renaults all the time!

I'm sure other countries are probably the same as well. Perhaps our strict MOT and adverse weather in the UK affects the longevity of our cars.

I was actually thinking this not too long ago when low and behold a Granada MK2 in glorious condition passed me in the city |B