few questions for anyone who knows what there on about

mcstealth

Car
None (banned)
I hope you could help me out :)

Q: When u install a performance induction kit, this is what iv been told,
'if u just replace your standard air box with a K&N, it will suck in warm air from the engine bay and lose performance, you need to have your K&N enclosed from your engine bay and give it access to cold air'.
TRUE ?

Q: This is just what i assume, When you upgrade to a bigger, more powerfull engine you have to upgrade all the suspension components.
This is because working in a busy garage, i have driven alot of modified cars, and for exampe, when i drive a corsa that used to be a 1.2 and is now a 2 litre, it is rattley and feels like it is falling apart, which is why i assume the 1.2 corsa's original parts are smaller and weaker.
TRUE ?

Q: When you upgrade your engine's parts for more power, whats the script on remapping your engine? This is what iv been told 'Most new cars dont have to be remapped, it does it all automatically, but older cars do'
TRUE ?, Do you know what kind of cars need it?

Q: What is 'Superchipping'? How and were do you use it, and what does it do?

Thanks alot :)

Think logically, using the zetec as an example then the 2.0 is actually lightern than the 1.6, the bores are actually larger therefore there less steel, therefore lighter.

A lot of engine management can adapt to a certain amount of change but not always.

'if u just replace your standard air box with a K&N, it will suck in warm air from the engine bay and lose performance, you need to have your K&N enclosed from your engine bay and give it access to cold air'.

from personal experience i have never felt any loss of power by just installing a induction kit with no heat shield or cold air feed but it must be true as a car will run better sucking in cold air

Q: This is just what i assume, When you upgrade to a bigger, more powerfull engine you have to upgrade all the suspension components.
This is because working in a busy garage, i have driven alot of modified cars, and for exampe, when i drive a corsa that used to be a 1.2 and is now a 2 litre, it is rattley and feels like it is falling apart, which is why i assume the 1.2 corsa's original parts are smaller and weaker.

bit of a no brainer really upgrade the engine you have to upgrade the suspension and brakes to account for the extra weight and power

Q: When you upgrade your engine's parts for more power, whats the script on remapping your engine? This is what iv been told 'Most new cars dont have to be remapped, it does it all automatically, but older cars do'
TRUE ?, Do you know what kind of cars need it?

i know the ecu can adjust itself to a certain extent but ive never heard of a self mapping ecu

Q: What is 'Superchipping'? How and were do you use it, and what does it do?

basicly chipping is the same as mapping but instead of of being pluged into the diagnostic port and uploaded via a computer a chip replaces the standard 1 within the ecu

sound sound mate, never thought bout the 'bigger engine capacity, less steel', common sense really, cant be that much lighter tho, can it.

Also for example; if i have a Puma 1.7 and i bought a performance induction and full exhaust system, chipped it, what kind of power do u reckon there is to be gained ?

ABout 10bhp. It's a NATASP engine.

Puma brakes are pathetic, I'd sort those out first

Low amount of BHP incease that
Brakes are a bit crappy, otherwise a decent car tho, for the power i'd say it was quicker than expected, pretty smooth ride aswel

My v12 is just 20Kg heavier than the straight 6 out of an equivalent car.

Suspension wise I'd say you might need to upgrade slightly, with the brakes being most important.

Induction kits can vary, if you just replace your airbox with a cone filter I can foresee problems but most kits come with a cold air feed or heatsheild.
Remapping basically tells the engine how much fuel to supply at a certain revs or air mass. This can be over ridden to a certain extend through programming via the diagnostic port, but to be honest the effects of a remap on a standard ecu are short lived.

Think of it like the film robocop. It can take other input, but its prime directive is emmission control, so it will work for a while, but sooner or later then prime directive will override it and modify the storerd values back to ones compatible with emmission control.
In other words a short term fix.

A superchip on the other hand is constantly setting the ecu to its preferred values, thus increasing power and torque over the long term.

On fords superchips Are plug in modules that can be removed from the a lot on the ecu and sold on. On some cars they may replace the main chip.

TRUE ?

If on a 1.4 or lower then low end torque can be affected. This is because the induction kit just sucks in the warm air from the engine. A cold air feed/cold air intake may resolve this.

TRUE ?

The 1.2 Corsa will have 1.2 Corsa parts (e.g. smaller brakes). Many people forget that everything needs upgrading. But you also need to remember, that sometimes mods are done in stages. A lot of people that have just dropped in a new engine will have to save up for the suspension.

to get the best out of the air filter it needs cold air the less warm air the better

when puttin in a bigger engine if its a lot bigger alway do the lot sus brakes ect

new ecu's do learn that why if a old man drives a car then a younger kid drive it it will be slow to start with as it the ecu will learn how the old man drives and makes the best out of it the when the kid gits it the ecu will then learn the kids driving and make the best out of that

Low amount of BHP incease that
Brakes are a bit crappy, otherwise a decent car tho, for the power i'd say it was quicker than expected, pretty smooth ride aswel

If it was turbo'd you'd get alot more power gain due to the boost. As the Turbo takes in air, the more and colder air it can take in means bigger bang for buck when your revs hit it.

ECU's on good cars are programmed to monitor at least 7 sensors in the engine and engine bay, the re-mapping done internally is based on the AFM (Air flow meter), and The incoming AIR TEMP both of these values tell the ECU how lean or rich to make the fuel delivery so its always at its 'peak' in the inlet manifold/throttle body/ combustion chamber based on pre-set values of economy and performance. Adding a free flowing air intake allows 'more air' therefore the ECU knows it needs more Fuel to get the ratio right for proper combustion, more air + more Fuel = bigger combustion = more power.
More combustion needs better exhaust to be efficient (not necessarily bigger pipes, normally just cooler) to prevent choking. Exhausts that are too big prevent scavaging and the exhaust gas flows slower making it hotter and the exhaust less effective.

A good (extreme) example of this is my old Corolla Gti on a rolling road. First i fitted a CAI, then ducted cold air then i had to manually richen the mixture at tickover as the fuel map was already at its limit coping wiht the extra cold air, then i fitted a 3" exhaust and lost power, after talking to a TRD developer he explained that the optimum exhaust for my 4age engine was only 6.8cm ID (less than 3") with the manifold wrapped in heat sheild, i then had to find pipe of the correct ID and guage, in the end i had some stainless rolled to my spec. bent to shape and mated to powerflow boxes with the inlets and outlets sized to suit, it was a mission as you cant buy it that size, the difference was like night and day !! it went from 128bhp (stock) to 158bhp (on a rolling road in a controlled enviroment)

Exhaust size is far less important with forced induction and 3" is a convenient tubing size to buy off the shelf so its widely used in the aftermarket