Ferrari??

maxpower

Car
Chrysler LX CONVRT
So I look at ferrari's old models. Such us mondial and 308. They are now affordable. Prices rages to about 16k-35k. Would anyone get one?

I don't think there's such a thing as a cheap Ferrari, To buy a good, serviced low mileage Ferrari in the first place won't be cheap then to keep it in the way it should be kept would cost a lot of your hard earned. Though a few years ago I did consider buying a fiat Dino, You could get them for near £5k not bad for a classic Ferrari but I just didn't bother, I guess they are still cheap in Italy, How about a Lancia Thema 8.32, They are cheap and Ferrari powered,
400's and 365's used to be cheap but I don't know if this is still the case.

No point really because you could buy a late plate second user BMW 535d, for example, which would flatten it it terms of performance alone. Factor in the comfort and ease of driving with a decent eight speed auto why bother with an old technology car at that price?

No point really because you could buy a late plate second user BMW 535d, for example, which would flatten it it terms of performance alone. Factor in the comfort and ease of driving with a decent eight speed auto why bother with an old technology car at that price?

Logically I would agree with you. However, car buying isn't always logical, otherwise we would be buying economical people movers :)

Car buying for the enthusiast is done with the heart not the head. If you love Ferrari (not me) then you would love to own one, even if only for a short while (probably the case with an old one).

I don't think there's such a thing as a cheap Ferrari, To buy a good, serviced low mileage Ferrari in the first place won't be cheap then to keep it in the way it should be kept would cost a lot of your hard earned. Though a few years ago I did consider buying a fiat Dino, You could get them for near £5k not bad for a classic Ferrari but I just didn't bother, I guess they are still cheap in Italy, How about a Lancia Thema 8.32, They are cheap and Ferrari powered,
400's and 365's used to be cheap but I don't know if this is still the case.

There are ferrari out there that are cheap. On ebay for example. A mondial 24K Miles and as been recently serviced cost 24k. I think that's a good price for a Ferrari. It might an an older model but the name makes you popular.

The idea is to own a Ferrari car.

I would only consider it if I could afford the running costs. I think as an investment it could be worth it, I remember seeing Dino's going for that money 10-15 years ago & now they easily sell for 60K. :)

It is the running costs that worry me. Clutch £4000, Cam belt £2500, Service £2800 (purely speculative figures but they will be pretty horrendus.)

The other thing is that I would not park it anywhere around town, I'd just become a target for vandals and the jealous.

Give me Ferrari performance is a regular looking cars body anyday!

Logically I would agree with you. However, car buying isn't always logical, otherwise we would be buying economical people movers :)

Car buying for the enthusiast is done with the heart not the head. If you love Ferrari (not me) then you would love to own one, even if only for a short while (probably the case with an old one).

I totally agree, I suppose I am giving my rationale for not buying a Ferrari. Which is to say that I just look at it objectively and can get similar or better performance from a high end saloon car.

However, if anyone wants a Ferrari it's because they want one for what it is and I would in no way denigrate that person.

Keeps life interesting :)

There are ferrari out there that are cheap. On ebay for example. A mondial 24K Miles and as been recently serviced cost 24k. I think that's a good price for a Ferrari. It might an an older model but the name makes you popular.

Believe me there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari, go and buy a fiat Dino for £7000 and let me know what it has cost you in 10 years time, Believe me it won't be cheap

In my circle of friends two of them own Ferraris, one of them has the new California and the other has a 1990 Testarossa. The classic has ridiculous running costs for a car that only does 5k a year. I believe he paid £29k for it from a company director who needed funds for his business quickly. I wont bore you with the details about costs, but once at a dinner party he was telling us about the breakdown of a 75k service and I nearly choked on me cocktail :blink:

A close friend has a 348 cost about 30k. It sounds glorious & he loves it. BUT its no quicker than his Mazda 6 mps & is never running 100% correctly & bits cost a fortune. He does a trip to Derby on a regular basis the Mazda eats the miles the Ferrari will have a problem however slight on every trip he risks using it. If you intend using an old Ferrari then dont buy it is my tip.