Faulty Sunroof

Twamgl3

Road Burner
Car
Mitsubishi Carisma
Well, I've had the car for about a month (95 Civic Coupe Lsi - (EJ2)) and the tilt and slide sunroof has given up the ghost.

I checked the fuse and it was fine and the right amperage, but I replaced it anyway. Still no luck.

I can see that the rev counter dips and the internal light fades when I press the button so its obviously drawing current.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
i replied to this before, wonder where my post went ?

would have said the motor or gearbox has siezed this would explain the drain when trying to operate it

The sunroof started working again after I got back from holiday this weekend, but when I close it it sounds like gears are grinding or something.

Ho hum.

The sunroof started working again after I got back from holiday this weekend, but when I close it it sounds like gears are grinding or something.

Ho hum.
i had a similar problem with my gsi and basically the teeth on the end of the motor wore down and where slipping and the large thread that moves the sunroof was caked in crud
so i replaced the motor and gave the thread a good clean with wd40 and a tooth brush it worked perfectly then

hope yours is as easy to fix

Cheers, me to!

I'm sure I can fix it, but I really don't want to take the roof lining apart to get to the motor.

i cant really say for your civic but my motor was behind a bit of plastic that held the interior light and the switch for the sunroof
and the motor was only held on by 3 screws

i cant really say for your civic but my motor was behind a bit of plastic that held the interior light and the switch for the sunroof
and the motor was only held on by 3 screws

Sounds like a similar set up to mine - although the interior light is separate, being located in the middle of the rood lining rather than on the trim near the sunroof.

There's a small plate that look like it might relent to a screwdriver (it didn't to my hands!), so maybe I'll be able to get in there.

The sunroof on my brother's Mazda had a little hatch that opened with a screwdriver and you could use a small crank that came with the car to operate it by hand if there was a problem with the motor.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back