Fastest Street Legal 4 Cylinder Car?

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Anybody know what the 1/4 mile world record is for a 4 cylinder street legal car (legal as specified in the Real Steel Street Eliminator Class)?

Tough one that - I guess we are allowed turbos so I would start the bidding with the Mitsubishi Evo - inline 4 and 340 bhp in standard form. These can be street legally tuned to around 750 but then again I have seen skylines hit 1000bhp but not sure if they are an inline 4. Can we also use Boxer engines or does it have to be an inline 4?

I found a reference to this which seems to blow everything else away:-
1995 Mitsubishi Mirage Four Cylinder Sets World Record setting a quarter mile in 7.97 seconds at 168.30 miles per hour

Hi Wayne.

That's why I asked the question :)

4 cylinders in any configuration and with any level of tune; turbos, superchargers, nitrous, etc, but pump fuel, DOT tyres and road legal.

Where did you find the reference to the Mirage as I would like to follow that up?

I found a ghost reference to it in Google but it doesn't appear on a live page other than in a PDF document about engine oil! Google for the following query and you should find all the relevent ghost entries and information.

168.30 7.97 mirage

I know it looks like a wierd search but it works! I hope your next question is a little less addicitive - I'm still looking for something faster.

OK, thanks.

Keep looking :) No point in asking simple questions :)

We need to know so we have something to aim for.

I checked out the link, Waynne. Quick 4-pot, but hardly road legal :)

Keep looking!

Anybody else got any ideas?

Or words to that effect :)

Even Santa Pod can't help, as they "don't keep records of that sort" !!! They suggested that I try eurodragster.com but I can't find a forum on that site.

I need to find out what we are aiming for, so I will have to keep looking :-(

dunno skylines are 6's

heard of a mitsi evo (uped to 2.3 with triple thick head gasket and stroker kit) with 940bhp from a couple of years ago doing think it was 120mph in 7.4 seconds. couple of months later it got a new turbo and ecu setup to give 1000bhp at the wheels and this was classed as street legal with passed mot

dunno what it did quater mile but its bount to be close if its not the winner

Hi.

So Skylines don't count :)

If the Evo did 7.4 secs (which I doubt very much) it would be a damn sight faster than 120mph! Would be nearer 180!!! (I ran 12.92/119 in my Elan 20 odd years ago).

The fastest "road legal" car is Steve Nash's Couger, which ran 7.84 on block treaded tyres at the Pod a couple of weeks back when he won the Real Steel Street Eliminator Championship, and he is running a V8. (Andy Frost has run faster, but not within the "rules" of the Championship).

Thanks, but I am looking for hard, substantiated facts. Do you have proof about this Evo?

Norris Designs have turned out some impressive spec Evos - might be worth chatting with Simon Norris I'm sure he has got some stats for 1/4 mile runs.

sorry got some of the figures wrong must have been thinking of sumthing else had a Look for it (should really have done this first) and found the following

evo 6 gsr demo car built by rc delelopments

930bhp (certain this was upped to 1000bhp with new turbo and ecu a couple of months after it was featured )
673lbft

0 to 60 2.95
0-100 5.74
0-150 11.01

all gps vertified
cant find 1/4 mile stats for it

for info on th engine
http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trcars9jpg1hq.jpg

once again sorry dunno what i was thinking about i made a typo def 7.4 was ment to be 8.4 :oops: think it was shown in the same issue of max power as the hks skyline 33 with 1240bhp this was running sub 8 seconds but was not road legal

pgarner said:
sorry got some of the figures wrong must have been thinking of sumthing else had a Look for it (should really have done this first) and found the following

I know that feeling :)

0-150 11.01 - 8 Second cars run 160-180mph terminals so this isn't very fast.

I thought this data would be easy to find, but it is proving very difficult :-(

Keep looking please :)

waynne said:
Norris Designs have turned out some impressive spec Evos - might be worth chatting with Simon Norris I'm sure he has got some stats for 1/4 mile runs.

Thanks for that idea. I have asked Norris Designs and await their reply.

old-git said:
waynne said:

Thanks for that idea. I have asked Norris Designs and await their reply.

Simon has responded:

Best so far - 9.26 @160.09mph

Next year, he is looking for 8.2 @ 165mph !

Andy Forrest has managed 9.1, so it looks like the target has to be low 8s :)

Andy Frost runs (to my knowledge) a 2200bhp street legal car that does 0-60mph in 1 second flat but that is an 8 cylinder engine. To me it seems that the Mirage may be the fastest so far............

Andy Frost runs (to my knowledge) a 2200bhp street legal car that does 0-60mph in 1 second flat but that is an 8 cylinder engine. To me it seems that the Mirage may be the fastest so far............

But the Mirage isn't road legal :)

Last edited:
I bet the answer is going to be a Lotus Elan (next year sometime ;))

Ooooo, that would be nice :) - but unlikely. Back in the early 80s it was the fastest 4 pot entering the Street Race Championships (the forerunner to today's TOTB) but things have moved on since then with a lot of very fast 4 cylinder Jap metal around. However, we have to try to keep the Union flag flying so I will be trying for the quickest 4 cylinder, properly road legal, car in the UK. Probably won't succeed, but hey, it will still be quite quick.

i personally think that the best type of car for drag racing is a 6 pot, i kno were tryin to find a 4 pot but hey, summin like a in like 6 (supra, skyline, bmw 3) also an rx7 has always been a very good racer for any type of racing, very highly tunable!

is 10.23 @ 138 mph 1/4 mile any good to you ???

In what way? Pretty good for a road car, in fact very good.

However, to be properly quick you need to be in the nines.

To be a serious contender you are looking at eight seconds.

I am still looking for a proven road legal (in the UK) 4 cylinder car running in the sevens on road legal tyres.

i personally think that the best type of car for drag racing is a 6 pot, i kno were tryin to find a 4 pot but hey, summin like a in like 6 (supra, skyline, bmw 3) also an rx7 has always been a very good racer for any type of racing, very highly tunable!

Yup, looking for 4 pots here only. Keep it on topic, please :)