Fastest speed you've hit in a car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the fastest speed you've hit in a car (legally I should hasten to add before people start incriminating themselves!)

images

I have no problems incriminating myself. I used to street race. I was young and dumb, I am fully aware of how stupid my actions were. However it did lead to a couple of fun moments with the fuzz.
One that springs to mind - racing through a town at about 3 in the morning. The only other car on the road was a police car. When he finally caught up and stopped me he claimed he was doing a ton passed a roundabout to catch up. But he couldn't prove it (no recording and he was alone) and he said that although I was fast I was driving safely (note that is not the same as carefully, which I couldn't have been doing at those speeds) so let me go with a just a 7 day wonder.
I'm pretty sure (looking back over 20 years of fading memory) I wasn't going much past 60-70, but that would explain his claimed speed to catch up.

Have hit some eye watering speeds in the past when I was young and dumb also, but these days I save it all for track and airfields. In answer to the question 171mph on an airfield.

accutately timed in the stagea - 166 at marham airfield when the engine was 2.6 and that is timed using a v box
Ive been faster in the stagea when it had the 2.8 motor in it .
Although it wasnt using a v box it had the same rev counter and gearing and was showing an extra 300 rpm to the 166 at marham. (6900 as opposed to 6600)
So that calculates as being 174mph (ish)

Ive been faster as a pasenger but that isnt the same (and probably more scary as you are not in control)

Last edited:
143 on Silverstone at a track day in a race spec m3. The corners came up so quickly and you had to back off but the car could have done much more!

201.3 mph on Datron at Bruntingthorpe. On a road 193+ mph shown on the car Data Log it was 8980rpm in 4th.

Bit naughty but rest assured road was pretty empty (a303) I was having a play with a Mk5 Golf R32 and sat behind it all the way up to 150mph but backed off very quickly when I realised how fast I was going would have hit 160mph if I kept going as the revs allowed... Passenger in the Golf kept looking back at me! haha Not bad for a 1.6 Turbo. That sort of speed in a Mini is pretty scary though, I wouldn't do it again.

Sadly, only 220kph / 140mph, as a driver. 260kph+ / 160mph+ as passenger. All in beastly classic V8s - Pontiacs and Chevys.
The scariest is doing those speeds on the back of a bike, no thanks.
I'd love to take a decent car around a track, I've never done that

well the fastest iv been in a car was just a tad over 170mph, been at over 150mph in quite a few different cars as well.

tbh im not too proud but was alot younger and the 'what if' part of mine and sometimes the other drivers brains didnt exist and i actually cringe thinking about it nowadays.

i will no doubt do high speeds again but it will be in a more controlled enviroment.