Fast lane or overtaking lane

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Ok then, which is it. The fast lane or the overtaking lane?

What do you call it and which is right?

I'm pretty sure most people call it the Fast Lane - though Overtaking Lane is definitely the correct term! Same can be applied to Slow Lane or Inside Lane ;)

It's only a name. Let's rationalise this: to overtake another vehicle you have to be moving faster than it is moving.

Faster lane, perhaps?

I don't really care what it's called, I just wish drivers would learn some lane discipline and work out how mirrors work.

Often the inner lane is the faster lane..Yeah I do undertake on occasion like someone famous said, "If there is room and time to undertake then the car that is being undertook should be on the inner lane anyway!"
When driving in Europe, especially Italy if one doesnt get in ASAP someone will flash you to get in and out of thier way, Sound but alas here you may get stabbed for such shenanigans, Kenith Noye any one

It's only a name. Let's rationalise this: to overtake another vehicle you have to be moving faster than it is moving.

Faster lane, perhaps?

I don't really care what it's called, I just wish drivers would learn some lane discipline and work out how mirrors work.

Me too but I call it the fast lane. Dunno why though cause you can never go fast in it.:blink:

outside lane for me. have no compunction about flashing someone to get out of the way if the inside is clear and they are pissing about in the outside lane.

People just need to learn to get as far to the left as possible, if you need to overtake then go out one lane then pull back in when you've done. It pisses me off so much when everyone is driving on the fast lane and hardly anyone is on the inside lane. You can still do the same speed, just do it in the slow lane. I am in a hurry.

ditto, but then you get some idiots who will hit the brakes for you flashing at then

always nervous of this so tend to hang back a bit (of course then some people dont take the hint). had some girl in a Golf staying in the outside lane a couple of weeks ago on a dual carriageway, after a couple of flashed (of the lights) she pulled over to the inside, but gave me abuse as i went past. a little swerve made her cut that crap out though.

What winds me up is drivers who spend several decades in lane 3 at 70.00000001mph passing vehicles which are doing 69.99999999 mph in the middle lane.

I was only joking, but, if its any consolation - I'm not doing 70.0001mph ;)

Hi everyone again.
At the risk of upsetting quite a lot of you I have to ask When was the last time you read the HC?
I am not going to single out people who have replied to the original question posted but....
The 3rd, outside (and occasionally) 4th lane of a motorway is OFFICIALLY designated as the OVERTAKING lane.
Suggesting undertaking to pass someone in that lane holding you up??? is an offence people, as is flashing lights to try to get them to move over. YOU dont have stripes, blue flashing lights and sirens It can be driving without due care or even classed as dangerous driving depending on what was seen. Giving a wiggle , to frighten someone who has offered abuse is also potentially dangerous. If it was a girl then her own stupid driving doesnt excuse your own. YES it is frustrating to have some idiot hogging the outer lane when all others are free. We have all seen them and could offer War & Peace volume sizes in comments. You might consider yourself to be a great driver with a great car, with great braking and tyres BUT... if you are the cause of someone elses grief ARE YOU. Never drive with a lead foot drive with your brain in gear as well as your car

Firstly the highway code was written a signifcant amount of time ago, a dual carriageway runs past my house and the traffic is so heavy it is incorrect to call the second lane the overtaking lane, their is little overtaking. Is flashing lights is an offence to warn the car infront that you are behind them and they are holding the traffic up? isnt it an offence to block the 'overtaking lane' (as the HC calls it) and not move over when the inside lane is clear?
would really love to see glabus driving a car and if he/she adheres to such a self righteous attitude - you must be a priest.

in regards to a lead foot, unfortunately i have very large shoes and they are very heavy so dont really have much option.

Well...
I seem to have upset you BUT, from the tone of your reply I am not surprised. NO I am not a priest but I was an ADI and have worked with the Police!
You are right to say that the HC was written quite some time ago and I would support any campaign to get SOME of the rules & Laws therein changed.
But you see, the actual fact that traffic is so heavy on the road near you does not change the designation and, maybe IF drivers moved to the inside lane traffic would move quicker? We all know that cars are getting wider as more and more safety items (airbags, safety/crash bars!!) are installed. Bigger exterior mirrors add to the overall width and, on some roads these cause passing problems and not every driver is prepared to use caution (brain) to reduce the risk. As for those who hog the lane and prevent overtaking capability I have to say that I am not sure if it IS an offence. We can all agree that it is bloody minded or stupid. Flashing lights at these types usually doesnt work anyway They seem to be on a different Planet to the rest. Finally mate I am NOT self righteous. I have done over a ton on a motorway but I travel near to the restricted speeds elsewhere. As you appear to be the ?proud? owner of a speedy car and have big shoes then you would fit into my category of a boyracer (whatever your age). The car needs to go fast. You WANT to go fast and the other road users are just an inconvenience or bloody nuisance to you. I do not know how ratings apply in here SEnior?? Torque meister? Whatever.
IF I was a priest I would pray that you keep other road users safe. But I am not and I dont believe in God either Go in peace
Firstly the highway code was written a signifcant amount of time ago, a dual carriageway runs past my house and the traffic is so heavy it is incorrect to call the second lane the overtaking lane, their is little overtaking. Is flashing lights is an offence to warn the car infront that you are behind them and they are holding the traffic up? isnt it an offence to block the 'overtaking lane' (as the HC calls it) and not move over when the inside lane is clear?
would really love to see glabus driving a car and if he/she adheres to such a self righteous attitude - you must be a priest.

in regards to a lead foot, unfortunately i have very large shoes and they are very heavy so dont really have much option.

Well...
I seem to have upset you BUT, from the tone of your reply I am not surprised. NO I am not a priest but I was an ADI and have worked with the Police!
You are right to say that the HC was written quite some time ago and I would support any campaign to get SOME of the rules & Laws therein changed.
But you see, the actual fact that traffic is so heavy on the road near you does not change the designation and, maybe IF drivers moved to the inside lane traffic would move quicker? We all know that cars are getting wider as more and more safety items (airbags, safety/crash bars!!) are installed. Bigger exterior mirrors add to the overall width and, on some roads these cause passing problems and not every driver is prepared to use caution (brain) to reduce the risk. As for those who hog the lane and prevent overtaking capability I have to say that I am not sure if it IS an offence. We can all agree that it is bloody minded or stupid. Flashing lights at these types usually doesnt work anyway They seem to be on a different Planet to the rest. Finally mate I am NOT self righteous. I have done over a ton on a motorway but I travel near to the restricted speeds elsewhere. As you appear to be the ?proud? owner of a speedy car and have big shoes then you would fit into my category of a boyracer (whatever your age). The car needs to go fast. You WANT to go fast and the other road users are just an inconvenience or bloody nuisance to you. I do not know how ratings apply in here SEnior?? Torque meister? Whatever.
IF I was a priest I would pray that you keep other road users safe. But I am not and I dont believe in God either Go in peace

Firstly, i will be the first to admit i used to be a boy racer - and had a similarly underpowered car to pursue these activities in - and frankly, looking back, some of the things i got up to were ridiculous, but took this as a learning curve.
I have now calmed down and drive, i hope, more sensibly most of the time, but do tend to get irked when i see something being done that makes no logical sense.
secondly, highway code, as per most i suspect, have not read this since my test but agree some of it is ok but really it does need to be seriously updated to cope the developments of modern cars and also increased traffic, agree?
in town i do not exceed the stated speed limit, be it 20, 30, 40, 50mph whatever. no point endangering yourself and others.
i like to go fast, definately, and yes the Subaru is good for this and i enjoy the acceleration but i do not, i believe, deliberately, try to harm or set up a situation that will harm, other roadusers.
(nb: my comments previously referred to a dual carriageway as opposed to 3 or 4 lane roads).

It DOES seem that I might have misjudged you from This response. Perhaps you deliver a more jokey attitude in replies??
We could be dopplegangers!
Like most young guys I too drove fast. I used to try to reduce my time from Scunthorpe to Cleethorpes (or Grimsby). I once nearly took the shortes route down Sutton Bank because the brakes on the company van werent going to stop me overshooting the bend!!!
Later, as an driving instructor I would see people male or female quite forget everything taught to them almost immediately after passing Test. So then to cut the story down you seem to drive like I do with correct observation to the road and other users and, like me you see the ignorance, stupidity and reckless disregard for rules and users. Good on yer!!
All of us has experienced these idiots and, perhaps like I do, you flash & honk, shake your head at the person behind speeding and using a mobile. You may also. like me; have acquired some points due to speeding?? AT 32 in a 30?? When soon after someone overtook ME at 50 then undertook the guy in front because he was in outer lane (on a Ring Road!) and he was in his way. NO justice!!!
If you missed another post of mine (general one) Would you agree with me that the PM ought to look at a scheme whereby drivers take another Test after say 3 yrs? So that standard are kept up and road safety and deaths altered for the good of all.
In closing this Yes I DO agree that the HC needs a radical update. However, until it or some other Laws apply .............

KB
Firstly, i will be the first to admit i used to be a boy racer - and had a similarly underpowered car to pursue these activities in - and frankly, looking back, some of the things i got up to were ridiculous, but took this as a learning curve.
I have now calmed down and drive, i hope, more sensibly most of the time, but do tend to get irked when i see something being done that makes no logical sense.
secondly, highway code, as per most i suspect, have not read this since my test but agree some of it is ok but really it does need to be seriously updated to cope the developments of modern cars and also increased traffic, agree?
in town i do not exceed the stated speed limit, be it 20, 30, 40, 50mph whatever. no point endangering yourself and others.
i like to go fast, definately, and yes the Subaru is good for this and i enjoy the acceleration but i do not, i believe, deliberately, try to harm or set up a situation that will harm, other roadusers.
(nb: my comments previously referred to a dual carriageway as opposed to 3 or 4 lane roads).