Fanbelt failure = Cam timing upset?

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
Ever heard of rubber from a failed fan belt getting inside a cambelt cover & upsetting valve timing?:blink::blink:

The only way I can see this happening is if a large enough piece got between the belt and pulley allowing the belt to skip a cam tooth or 2.

Normally most engines have covers separating the two so this should not happen. Cambelts run the closest to the block with auxilary belts running external to the cambelt cover.

Some cars, in particular Sierra and Sapphire Cosworths, often have the covers removed by their owners. My engine is sans cover.

They are usually left off so the pretty cam pulleys can be seen :) Also easier to check state of belt.

My engine was built without it as is the custom and there is no reason to put one on.

So long as the undertray is intact and no junk can get into the assembly then I suppose that's OK.

How about a transparent acrylic (or similar) material? For the bonnet lid too perhaps ????

So long as the undertray is intact and no junk can get into the assembly then I suppose that's OK.

How about a transparent acrylic (or similar) material? For the bonnet lid too perhaps ????

These are available for Jap motors.

I have also seen transparent bonnets but they are not for me.

Function over form I say, I've never got the whole JDM myself....

But yeah, if a cambelt wasn't changed after a long time then I guess this could happen...