Falling asleep at the wheel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Has anyone ever fell asleep or come pretty close to falling asleep at the wheel?

I have pulled off the motorway on a few occasions for a 30 minute power nap. Thankfully I've never come close to falling asleep at the wheel.

yep, worked overnight, during the next day and then until 10pm that evening - was so knackered that did literally drop off on the way home - and scared myself sh!!less doing so. had to stop and get outside in the freezing air to try and wake myself up, then finished the drive back with all the windows down and music on full blast.

Yep, on my way home to Leicestershire from Huddersfield in the early days of dating the missus, quite late on a Sunday night. One minute I'm in the inside lane, next thing I'm juddering over the lines on my way towards the crash barrier in the middle. Very scary stuff.

Pulled over at the next services for a strong coffee and a sleep, went the rest of the way with the windows open (it was bloody freezing) and the radio on top whack (Sunday Surgery on Radio 1, natch).

Not something I EVER want to do again.

After getting up at 7am, working all day then getting an emergency callout to London data-centre at 11pm, I worked until 11am the following day fixing faulty routers.

Suffice to say, after all that work and being awake 30 hours straight I was done in. I didn't 'nod off' or drift at any point, but I had this strange sensation that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I kept slow blinking all the way home - maybe having my eyes shut for 1 second at a time. If I tried to force my eyes to stay open my eyes would water - I've never been that tired in my life.

Made it home without any major incident. Strangely I found singing to myself helped and I defiantly had all the windows down and radio on.

I'm amazed I didn't at least drift. Took all my mind power not to.