Fake performance mods

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Why do people buy fake performance mods?

I am specifically thinking of those that indicate a car has a higher performance but it does nothing at all.

Electronic dump valve sounds,
Turbo badges,
Look a like bodykits, Focus L to RS for example,
Abarth badges on standard cars

The list goes on and I'm sure you can add more but why do people waste their money trying to make their car look better than it is, when they could just spend the money on real mods that will make a performance difference.

Real mods cost more than fake ones. An electronic dump valve is a lot cheaper than fitting a turbo, for example.

Image is everything to a lot of people, especially the young. If they can't afford the real thing they buy a fake: Watches, Jewellery, handbags, etc

The one I see alot of is the 'M' sport badges on basic beemers, they will debadge the boot so you can't tell what it is then fool themselves with the wrong badge. I think it is an insecure thing, wanting to fit in but not being able to afford the real thing. Like OG says, fake goods to make an impression and wanting to fit in. All well and good until someone challenges it. No doubt some of us did this when young, I probably did in some way. But then again I also did the opposite, had a car that was fast but made it look like a basic model. ;b/

There are more 'M3's in Brackley, Northants than BMW has ever manufactured!!! Most of these are the four cylinder 1.8 litre versions.

The one I see alot of is the 'M' sport badges on basic beemers, they will debadge the boot so you can't tell what it is then fool themselves with the wrong badge. I think it is an insecure thing, wanting to fit in but not being able to afford the real thing. Like OG says, fake goods to make an impression and wanting to fit in. All well and good until someone challenges it. No doubt some of us did this when young, I probably did in some way. But then again I also did the opposite, had a car that was fast but made it look like a basic model. ;b/
Personally I'd buy an M3 and then put a 318i badge on it! Am I just backwards like that then.

Real mods cost more than fake ones. An electronic dump valve is a lot cheaper than fitting a turbo, for example.

Image is everything to a lot of people, especially the young. If they can't afford the real thing they buy a fake: Watches, Jewellery, handbags, etc

I much prefer real items. I've never understood why people buy fake things such as clothes. I'll always save up and buy the real thing!

I much prefer real items. I've never understood why people buy fake things such as clothes. I'll always save up and buy the real thing!

I don't even do that. Designer clothes are for those with more sense than money, IMO :)

Don't get Skyline GTST owners making their cars look like GTRs
I suppose the other trend is making your humble car have sporting heritage it doesn't deserve such as the MR2arri
carscoop_mr2_360f_1_zpsvzuxatpm.jpg

If I had the wherewithal to buy the expensive bling bling I would spend it on the expensive vroom vroom performance parts :)