extreme wheel wobble

huxley

Car
peugeot 106 gti s2
hey ther.........just had a performance clutch fitted to my gti by a friend who usually dabbles..(very impressivley) with honda vtec's, and honda conversions.

now tho when i hit 60ish the steering wheel wobbles like mad, but ive only just had the wheels balanced.

please tell me that someone out there knows why this could be???:confused:

If its alloy wheels, check the weights,

If they have done it properly then they will have done an active ballance (this looks for side to side vibration as well as up and down vibration), If they have done this then you will have 2 sets of weights on each wheel, 1 set on the inner lip, 1 set on the outer lip,

Most places don't do this though,
If you have one strip of weights in the centre if the wheel, they have done a centre balance which as above, only looks for up and down vibrations,

Failing the balancing issue, you may have lost a weight or buckled a wheel, or a bleb in the tyre.

if you have steering wheel vibration at 60mph (ish) its 99.9% of the time wheel balancing.

(courtesy of my BF - tyre fitter)

Last edited:
Do you have a 3 stud hub or one with no central hole. If so these are notoriously difficult to balance properly. Take them back and get them rebalanced. I've known experienced fitters get caught out by these wheels before.

they're 4 stud wheels, which were balanced before the clutch replacement and it was perfect. im hoping it's just a case of, 1 of the wheel weights has fallen off or summit like that, but i will try jackin it up tomoz like ya say Loz, but theres no wobble or play when on the deck.so we'll see

cheers

ive got 15inch tsw's on which were perfect after i had it balanced a few weeks ago.top speed n everything, although i did hit a speed bump which i didnt see on the way to get the clutch replaced, and ive now noticed that there is a rectangular clean patch next to the 4 new weights on the wheel....ish.......theres 6 on the oppisate wheel if thats any help

May be a long shot but check and make sure it still has the spigot wheel in place. It's a small plastic circle that sits on the wheel between the hub. Other than that you may have bent something when you hit the bump.

seems to have sorted it by replacing a lower arm on drivers side which was warn to hell apparently.that cost me nowt so all good....... and takin the drive shaft back off n re-settin every thin...though apparently there was only spigots on the back wheels so he swapped them to the front aswell

d'you reckon it's an ergent must to get two spigots for the back end?

I know exactly what you are talking about.A guy at work has a three year old GTI with teledial alloys.They are notorious for warping even if you sneeze at them.He was told its cos of the shape they have no strenght and they are only 17" rims.Volkwagen know about the problem but advised him to change the alloys as they will only warp again if he straightens them.If you look down the side of his car you can see the spokes bulging out and not flush with the car.Looks like a gorgeus lady with her two front teeth missing.