Exhaust material

unkinkedash

Car
lancer gt 2014
Hello everybody!

I'm about to make a double exhaust on my lancer, and the mechanic gave me two options: making it with a stainless steel or carbon steel. The carbon steel is way cheaper, but I've heard that the quality and the durability is super inferior to the stainless steel one. Well, my car today has 78.000km and I plan to stay with it for a long time still (I just bought it). So, is it worth it spending the double into a stainless steel one?

Just read a little bit about it and they summarise it as below

In Short What Is The Difference Between Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel?

• Stainless steel has a high chromium content which acts as a protective layer against corrosion and rust.
  • Carbon steel is high in carbon that when exposed to moisture can corrode and rust quickly.
  • Stainless steel is is more appealing to the eye and can be use for decorative products.
  • Carbon Steel is stronger and more durable then stainless steel.
Think I'd look at going stainless as it even says Vapor will make it rust quickly so just sounds like you'll be replacing it almost a quick as a mild steel version...

The life of stainless steel is superb but do you need 20+ years on the exhaust, the carbon steel is probably lighter and if you have to replace it after 10 years you still won't have spent as much as the pristine stainless steel ones.

You could always get it ceramic coated, and if you avoid short journeys it will last much longer as there is no chance for moisture to build up.

The life of stainless steel is superb but do you need 20+ years on the exhaust, the carbon steel is probably lighter and if you have to replace it after 10 years you still won't have spent as much as the pristine stainless steel ones.

You could always get it ceramic coated, and if you avoid short journeys it will last much longer as there is no chance for moisture to build up.
Hi there. Bare in mind that you can find a stainless steel pipe more thick than the normal used by mechanics giving some money more for the difference and you can gain a more durable system.

Has anyone thought of using aluminium for a cat back system as it should be lighter if it is weight reduction is the goal ?

My friend the Aluminum sheets are so weak for this purpose. The synchronised vibration cracks the metal as a butter. You need other expensive materials like carbon to use it combined specific characteristics such as light weight. Have a nice evening. Themos