Exhaust blowing

starletnoob

Car
United Kingdom
Just got my car today (Toyota Starlet 1.3 GLI), there is a bad blow in the exhaust. Its blowing where the manifold joins the down pipe, i know that it needs a new gasket but the bolts look pretty rusted. I know i should take them apart clean it all off fit a new gasket and be done with it BUT do you think i should risk having to replace the bolts/bracket/manifold/down pipe by snapping a rusted part OR just try and seal it with Gun Gum.....

I am pretty competent when it comes to mechanical things, So its not me not knowing what to do or how. Just wondered what you knowledgeable bunch think :bigsmile:

Spray and soak the offending parts in something like WD-40 or similar.
If you give them a good soaking and leave for while it should free them.
Replacing bolts isn't a problem really and unless your exhaust it's ready to fall off with rust I can't see how you'd damage it.

I spent 2 hours soaking and gently easing the nut off, got it all cleaned off and now the bolts look good as new! turns out some muppet fitted the gasket wrong, they put it on wonky and just tightened the nuts squashing the gasket leaving a hole the size of a 3.5mm headphone jack. Nothing more satisfying that doing the job properly :)