Exhaust and cold air intake mod

Jackthemac

Car
Mondeo 2.2 TDCI
Mondeo MK3 2.2 TDCI 2006.

Thoughts please.

I have just fitted an ST bumper with an exhaust opening, (my existing end section exhaust has a downwards pointing end pipe). The exhaust system has only one silencer from the cat, which is on the end section of the exhaust. My plan is to delete the silencer by removal and adding a straight through section, therefore creating a straight through exhaust from the cat, utilising the exhaust cut out in the bumper.
I believe the biggest restriction to exhaust flow is the silencer, so this change will hopefully improve the flow plus enhance the overall look.

The next intended mod, is to create another cold air feed to the air box. The first ST’s had two cold feeds, which worked well, but then was discontinued, I imagine, due to costing.
The only thing that concerned me was the affect that this would have on the MAF. Most people I have spoken to have said, basically none.

These mods, in my opinion, should increase engine breathing and rid itself of waste more efficiently.

I would appreciate other views and thoughts.

Thanks.

Both of these mods are restriction removers, so will not add power in their own right. Some have had flat spots on a stock engine with these mods, you do want a little backpressure, and exhaust velocity is important, which goes down in larger pipes. The trick is matching your exhaust pipe size to the RPM range you most often use.

As you are not using a cone filter, just fitting an additional cold air feed I don't think you'll be worse off in this case. You'll probably discover that the additional cold air feed doesn't do very much. Didn't Ford use a larger cold air feed when they dropped to just one anyway?