Excuses for not giving someone a lift

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever been asked to give someone a lift and not wanted to?

What excuse did you use or what excuses can you think of to get out of it?

I hate it when people want to be dropped off and picked up at the airport. They invariably flap when you are stuck in traffic and want to be picked up at Silly O Clock in the morning when they get back! I'd only do this for very close friends who I know are laid back and relaxed and at least try to get flights during normal daylight hours! ;)

"The car is booked in for a service...." is my fave line and then I get on the phone and book it in to the garage for something, even if it is only an oil change!

Is this desparate? Should I just be more assertive and say no!

sisters allways wanting lifts to work if its raining, its like half a mile down hill so its a diret NO walk !!!!!!!!
needless to say shes stopped asking me.

also depends ill give a lift if i know the said person would do the same for me

depends what they want the lift for really for me

if its immediate family (mam dad brother) needing a lift to the airport then yes i will do it

if its a lift to the pub cos person is too tight to shell out for a taxi so that they can squeeze one more pint out of their wallet then its normally a NO!

will normally only give lifts to immediate family anyway as they have taxi'd me around enough times either before i could drive or when car was off the road etc.

rescue missions i will normally help out in ie: best friend and her 2 children stranded 200 miles from home when an argument saw her (ex) partner abandon them at a caravan site without a car to get home.

I was travelling to work one morning and seen a chap hitching a lift so i picked him up. needless to say it was only a 5 mile drive but he didnt say a word holding on for his life...the next day i seen him again he seen me coming and put his thumb down...lol :lol:

is all a case of who it is that is needing the lift

good think having a yank and its low is people dont like being on the right side with out no steering wheel and as its low they cant get out lol so they dont ask very much plus only have one seat normaly as my gold clubs are in teh back and they dont come out for any one

but unless she is a nice looking female then can sit anywere lol

:lol: at Tully! You are a funny man!

I don't mind giving people lifts as long as they offer petrol money.

gold clubs

Rich swine! :p

Not asked too often and depends who it is.

If they've done a favour for me or my family before then I'll do it no sweat.

If I think they would return the favour, then I'd also do it.

Otherwise, probably not.

I have been known to take all seats apart from driver's out of the car before I go to the pub (not drinking) as so when people ask "can I bum a lift" the excuse is easy: "where you gonna sit?!"

Last edited:
if people offer money for petrol id take them anywhere
if they dont i use, i dont have any petrol

My nan and grandad were round mine a few weeks ago, when my grandad asked if I would give hima lift home, I said I couldn't because my car is too low for my nan to get in and out of! In the end my brother took them home :lol:.

I quite often ask what I'm going to get out of it, then if they have this blank look on their face I say no.

Dont realy need an excuse, being over six feet the back seats have non-existant legroom, so i just say " sorry you're too tall, you wont fit ", which is in fact the case,

sometimes i put the back seats down completley and fill the boot with stuff, just so my miserly friends wont be able to deprive me of petrol, i swear ive never had a penny towards fuel and they put 200 miles a week on the car grr.