Excess oil within the boost pipes..

Greg1990

Torque Junkie
Car
S40 2.0D SE sport
I’ve posted quite a few threads about the mods I’ve done to my Volvo S40 2.0d..ie..hybrid turbo,Nissan skyline GTR intercooler,DPF/Egr delete,full stainless exhaust and a K&N panel filter also complimented with a snow performance methanol injection kit..results..239BHP and 435ftlb of torque...I’m having issues with what seems to be excessive oil within the intercooler pipes..enough so that it keeps blowing the aforementioned pipes off under hard acceleration..we’ve took actions like welding a bead around the ends of the boost pipes and double clamping them and up until now they seem to be holding..does anyone have any advice regarding the excess oil within the pipes?..I’m not noticing any excessive loss of oil within the sump/dipstick?..All the above modifications are reasonable new using all new parts..pissing me off if I’m honest...

That suggests to me that the turbo oil seals are the culprit.

You will also need to remove the IC and associated pipework and have them cleaned as the oil in them drastically reduces their ability to absorb heat in the incoming pressurized air passing thru it on the way to the intake manifold.

Oil in the intake also leads to detonation so it should be fixed without delay otherwise the motor may be damaged.

BTW what boost pressure are you running ?

Last edited:
That’s what we think,the oil isn’t making its way to the intake .it’s collecting at the lowest point of the boost pipe under the front bumper ...I’ve also got a methanol/water injection kit fitted which injects directly into the intake manifold..I knew you were going to ask that question..lol..I’m running around 20-25lb of boost..I’m sure the turbo company that’s built it are going to ask that question also!..but surely a hybrid should handle that sort of boost pressures?...

Then to be sure that there is no oil getting into the plenum take the pipe off and wipe around the inside of the TB with a white cloth as that should indicate the presence of oil fumes or not.

FYI I had 20psi for years in my old car and do miss the surge when it was ramping up and VTEC in my Type R is not the same but I <B the Honda in different ways.

I may also be getting a false representation regarding the amount of oil that is leaking past the front seal as on every occasion the boost pipes have blown I’ve had to drive several miles before being able to get it on the ramp and I’m told driving with the boost pipes unattached will allow oil to piss past the front seal on the turbo as it acts like a piston and needs pressure to seal correctly?..that’s why I’m told you will always have a small amount of oil within the intercooler system...still,I’m going to have a word with the company that built the turbo to see what they have to say?...it’s having no effect on performance though,she still pulls/goes like stink..lol..

Last edited:
Keep the updates coming, I can see from the stats that loads of people are reading this or searching for this information.

Spoken to the company that built the turbo..they agree that the amount of oil is excessive but before I go through the rigmarole of removing it for them to inspect they’ve advised me to check all the breather pipes under the bonnet to see if any are blocked or kinked?...If that draws a blank then they will be more than happy to inspect the turbo and replace anything that may have appeared to have failed..I take my hat off to the guys at AE Turbo’s in Normanton near Wakefield..They gave great advice and said they always stand by their warranties when there is no evidence of foul play ..:)

Last edited: