EVO 4 or 5?

roryp15

Tuner
Car
VW Golf Gt Tdi
My mate asked me this but i thought id pass it onto you guys.

The EVO 4 or 5 - which is better and why ?

By better he means everything

0-60 -
Top Speed -
Quater Mile -
Easy To " Tune for power "
Handling -
Overall best car -

What you think?

Stay well clear of the Evo 1V, they chew up engines, normally replaced by the engine from the V1, which ultimately comes from a breaker.

So the 5 would be better? What about a 4 with a 6 engine?

Anyone know how these compare to a r32 GTR skyline ? As they are around the same price ?

i was looking at evo's as a possibility 2+ years ago and the evo 4/5 where the ones that i could afford. and from what i remember when i was researching and looking at them. the evo 4 can suffer from something called crank walk (no idea what this is) but it was expensive to put right!! the 4 has 1 of the ugliest upholsterys i have ever seen!
so the evo5 was a better buy for me cause they had sorted this crank walk issue, the upholstery was 1000 times nicer! they looked nicer on the exterior just cause they had added arch extensions!
tuning wise i didnt really look into them i would have waited until i got used to the power and handling then would have looked into it!

but what you really have to consider with these cars is can you afford 1????
me personally i could afford the car, tax, mot and insurance! but if anything had gone wrong with the car it would have ended sat on my drive until i could have saved up to put/get it right (these cars are expensive to maintain properly!)

Crank walk is when the crank moves excessively beyond how it's meant to move (ie rotational and slight end-to-end movement). Didn't know Evo 4's were bad for it but any car can suffer from it. Usually happens due to fooked thrust bearings. Poorly made cranks on the Evo 4's perhaps?

At least that's my understanding of it, not someting you see very often!

Crank walk is when the crank moves excessively beyond how it's meant to move (ie rotational and slight end-to-end movement). Didn't know Evo 4's were bad for it but any car can suffer from it. Usually happens due to fooked thrust bearings. Poorly made cranks on the Evo 4's perhaps?

At least that's my understanding of it, not someting you see very often!

cheers for the description ma:D i did look into it at the time and didnt really understand it then or now:embarrest:
and iirc? all the evo models before the 5 suffered from this crank walk (obviously not every 1 but it was a common fault)

thanks for all the replys so far :)

Phoned the guy that asked me for my views a few days ago. Told him what everyone has sayed so far about crankwalk.

What about the 4 with the 6 engine in it ? i think that would solve the crank walk issue and give a huge choice for tuning.

He also mentioned the r32 skyline GTR just now as they are all around the same price : evo 4, 5, skyline.

What about the 4 with the 6 engine in it ? i think that would solve the crank walk issue and give a huge choice for tuning.

He also mentioned the r32 skyline GTR just now as they are all around the same price : evo 4, 5, skyline.

yes the evo 4 with a 6 engine is a good option if its cheap enough!! but your mate will have a nice car but not the nicest looking evo possible imo (the evo just doesnt look quite right without the arch extensions!) plus he will still have that sh!ty upholstery!

the r32 is also a great motor but he has to know what he is looking for/at the r32 has so many variants!!! my mate swapped his bmw 318is for an r32 but it was a single turbo, auto, rwd version (but the car was advertised as a gtr) dont get me wrong he got the better deal in the end but the single turbo r32 auto is about as quick as a healthy (plus a f3ew other mods:bigsmile:) mk3 astra gsi (redtop) and i am speaking form experience here;)

Maybe going a bit off topic but seen a few Subaru type R's ( 2 door ) for slight cheaper . 0-60 - 4.8. Pretty quick standard . Or are the evos the best bet?

Heck I know Im posting on this fairly late but I wanted to add my few cents in regard to what I think is better between the Evo 4 or 5...

No bias here or anything but I believe the 5 is by far the better car out of the 2 and thats not because Ive got one. I done a lot of research into it before I bought it. The Evo 5 and 6 are pretty much identical cars with a few minor alterations. You can tell by the fact they share the same chassis number CP9A.

The Evo 4 is a CN9A and does have a slightly narrower chassis. The guards on the 5/6 arent the only reason why the car looks bigger... it literally is wider. Mitsubishi decided to use the maximum allowable width under the WRC rules for 1998. They were able to increase the suspension stroke and tyre width with the extra space.

Evo 5 has a far superior brake package as well. 4 pot brembo's in the front and 2 pot brembo's in the rear compared to the sad brake package that came with the 4. The difference in this area is night and day. There is very little brake fade in an evo 5 from top speed. The evo 4 feels like theres pillows between the rotors.

The output of the engine was also up on the evo 4 as well with increases in torque and peak power due to slight changes in piston design and the fact that they moved from the 510cc injectors in the Evo 4 to 560cc injectors in the evo 5. In terms of Crankwalk... I dont think I have ever heard of an Evo that has had an engine fail because of crankwalk. I have however heard of it being a major problem with the US assembled versions of the 4G63.

All the japanese ones that I have seen have never failed because of this and thats inclusive of the Evo 4. The Evo 4 / 5 / 6 pretty much share identicle rotating assemblies all beit the pistons. The bearings and thrust washer are interchangable from Evo 4 - 8.

In terms of power there really is not much between all the Evo's so it really does come down to an overall package. I believe that the Evo 5/6 are the most complete package and value for money out of all the Evo's IMO. They have proven racing history as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back