Ever misfuelled your car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever put the wrong fuel in your car?

I've never done it and I suppose I'm tempting fate by posting this. I have just switched from a diesel so it's quite likely to happen to me.

I have a friend who has done this twice! (In the same month no less!)

One has to keep ones wits about them when fueling different vehicles as so many motorists usually ones on the public payroll that jump into a "company " car and with brain in neutral grab the same pump that they use to fill their family ride without a second thought.:oops:

Obi diesel in a petrol car is nowhere as costly as the reverse and is easily fixed.

In the good old days some used to add a dash of diesel as an upper cylinder lube.

WARNING to anyone reading this NEVER NEVER attempt to start a diesel powered vehicle if it has been filled,topped up or whatever with petrol.

Last edited:
Not yet.
Even when I used to drive for a living and had to fill up the diesel vans at the end of a shift then fill up my petrol car later.

The nozzle on the diesel pump is bigger than the petrol one, so it should be impossible to put diesel in a petrol car (I say should as some idiot somewhere will find a way).
The other way around though....

Lunchy over here the normal fill diesel pump has a small outlet pipe and the fast fill for trucks,lorries have a much larger outlet so some muppets still manage to get it wrong.

Many cars over here are fitted with an anti misfuel attachment to the filler cap.

One pump is slightly larger than the other as well which should help, it's probably diesel in the smaller nozzle but I can't remember which.

Many cars over here are fitted with an anti misfuel attachment to the filler cap.

One pump is slightly larger than the other as well which should help, it's probably diesel in the smaller nozzle but I can't remember

Try as you may to make things idiot proof can be am impossible task as idiots can be so inventive.

I used to have a diesel 4Runner. Once my wife called me from the service station and asked: "which gasoline does it take, regular or diesel?" Another time she was at the gasoline pump when her brother pulled saw her, hit the brakes and horn, pulled in and stopped her from putting gasoline in it.