English car part terminology

charger69

Pro Tuner
Car
Opel Corsa B X14XE
ok, this might sound weird, but for non english spokers this might be something. if you don't mind could you give explanations for all car parts in english, how you call them and what they are, it'll help a lot.

ok like we call a booth, what they would call a trunk, that sort of thing??

if so its good because i had difficulty trying to explain things on another site, this made it hard to get on, been a friendly site here, i think its a very good idea

lol prevtec nowt like confusing things, do you mean 'boot' not 'booth'

lets start a list might be easier then we can just copy and paste alternative words/names for things:

Boot = trunk
Bonnet = hood

ok then

rocker cover = cam cover = crankcase
bottom end = the end part of an engine block
induction kit = cold air feed, if you say this to an american they'll think its turbo or supercharger
accelerater = gas pedal

is it your 1 your on about??, what happened:confused:

yeah kinda broke lol, well suspected bottom end, first it decided to dump gear box oil all over roundabout luckily nothing serious was wrong there, now is making a really bad tapping noise from bout 3000 revs, kinda ruled out everything else it could be, hopefully if i sell enough decals she will be fixed in about a month :)

kinda more explanation would be better, and i would be thankfull to you, because honestly most times i find it hard, and probably so do other non english speakers. but anyway thanks a lot for these things.

ok then

induction kit = cold air feed, if you say this to an american they'll think its turbo or supercharger
accelerater = gas pedal

Isn't the crank at the bottom of the engine not the top? :blink1:

Charger you need to be more specific. We could reel off alsorts for you to not understand. Why don't you tell us what you don't understand then we can explain them to you in more detail...:D

Charger you need to be more specific. We could reel off alsorts for you to not understand. Why don't you tell us what you don't understand then we can explain them to you in more detail...:D

whatever you'll explain it's helpful tn69.

Me! :bigsmile:

Oh dear I'm sorry.

When talking about a certain side of the car we say,

Nearside or N/S, meaning the passenger side.
Offside or O/S, meaning the drivers side.

Of course you will also have to remember we've got the steering wheel on the wrong side too! :lol::rolleyes:

ok then

accelerater = gas pedal

Ha Ha this thread is great,

crankcase = bottom end

This thread will help him no end! :lol:

As TN said it may help to let us know what you struggle with and then we can help you more or confuse you more :blink1:

yeah kinda broke lol, well suspected bottom end, first it decided to dump gear box oil all over roundabout luckily nothing serious was wrong there, now is making a really bad tapping noise from bout 3000 revs, kinda ruled out everything else it could be, hopefully if i sell enough decals she will be fixed in about a month :)
do you have a link to your web address for your buissness??
il see what i can do, personally im not in to decals but a few mates of mine might:D

when i bought a crankcase breather, it was for the rocker cover
it replaces the tube going from the cover to the air intake, thats why its called a crankcase, i could be wrong though:embarrest:

when i bought a crankcase breather, it was for the rocker cover
it replaces the tube going from the cover to the air intake, thats why its called a crankcase, i could be wrong though:embarrest:

Mate the crank is at the bottom of the engine it's what your conrods and pistons are attached too. The top cover if the engine is overhead cams is called the cam cover or on older cars the rocker cover. Don't know who told you that but the crank is definitely at the bottom of the engine.

This thread will help him no end! :lol:

As TN said it may help to let us know what you struggle with and then we can help you more or confuse you more :blink1:

don't worry i do understand english, but i have troubles with car terminology, so most things you say, i do understand them.

ok, here are how i do call some car parts in english, hope they're good:

front bumper
rear bumper
side skirts
hood
windscreen
rear screen
fron lights
rear lights
signal lights
steering wheel
rim
tyre
engine
carbureator
fuel pump etc....

but how do you say in english for the front side, the part that hides the engine from the wheel?

We call the signal lights indicators because you indicate your intention to turn.
The front side that hides the engine is called a wing.

From what I've noticed on other international car forums, turning indicators often refer to the "signal lights" front and back, while those on the wings are often called winker lenses.

On the breather/crankcase topic, here in Sweden we often refer to the breather as a crankcase ventilator, though the meaning of the term may get lost in translation. Even though it's situated on or close to the cam covers, it deals with excessive oil that's been pushed from the crankcase or bottom end into the head. On turbocharged cars in particular you often add an oil catch tank, which serves to stop the oil from pouring into the intake system (joint is often placed between air filter/AFM and the turbocharger's compressor inlet.

From what I've noticed on other international car forums, turning indicators often refer to the "signal lights" front and back, while those on the wings are often called winker lenses.

On the breather/crankcase topic, here in Sweden we often refer to the breather as a crankcase ventilator, though the meaning of the term may get lost in translation. Even though it's situated on or close to the cam covers, it deals with excessive oil that's been pushed from the crankcase or bottom end into the head. On turbocharged cars in particular you often add an oil catch tank, which serves to stop the oil from pouring into the intake system (joint is often placed between air filter/AFM and the turbocharger's compressor inlet.
thats what i was on about

well i wasnt going to say it og

prevec the breather is at the top of the engine so oil doesnt come out through it.
the pipe attached to it from the air intake is actually to cool the top of the engine, the crankcase breather has tinfoil inside it to stop the oil coming out, thats true, its why you have like a resivoir underneath the normal air intake pipe

the breather is called a crankcase breather, thats why i called the rocker cover a crankcase,
now leave me alone:sad2: yer all at me, im not friends with ye anymore, and im getting my dad after ye all

lol:D:D:D:lol::lol:

how are we all this morning???, im in great form:lol:

the pipe attached to it from the air intake is actually to cool the top of the engine, the crankcase breather has tinfoil inside it to stop the oil coming out, thats true, its why you have like a resivoir underneath the normal air intake pipe

the breather is called a crankcase breather, thats why i called the rocker cover a crankcase,
now leave me alone:sad2: yer all at me, im not friends with ye anymore, and im getting my dad after ye all

lol

how are we all this morning???, im in great form:lol:

Mardy git..:p:p:p:D:D Hows you mate?

I'm glad that got cleared up, I was wondering how to describe a breather situated in the crankcase :blink1: having never seen one meself like!