engine swap or turbo upgrade

92Zvg30

Car
300ZX VG30DE
Hey guys im thinking of adding turbos to my 92 300ZX with the VG30DE. its a non turboed motor and i was wondering if it was easier and more cost friendly to just buy a TT motor or to add the turbos and all other essentials on my motor the way it is

alright, thanks alot for your reply. ive put alot of time into my z so the motor swap is my best option. any difficulties i may encounter before i start? Or things i should know?

Are the clocks and switchgear the same for the turbo? Are they the same gearbox anc clutch or will you have to uprate to handle the extra power?

i have a aftermarket clutch in now so that wont be a problem and as far as i know the gearbox is the same. i would have to do some research tho. i have heard that i willl come across difficulties with swapping the motors

I get that you are attached to the car as you will have spent a lot of time and effort on it but I think for the money you are going to spend and the potential for problems that you are going to encounter, either turbocharging the block as is or installing a new engine, it would be worth buying a new one that is already turbo charged and starting from there.

I hate saying it as I get the full do it yourself bug but I think it's the only real option.

I'm now going to duck and cover because I feel I may be abouts to start an argument!?!?!?

The "Ive spent a fortune on the car so I not going to sell it " stance is actually a very vaild one . (having done it myself )

People suggesting just buy another car often forget that you may end up needing to spend a lot uprating the rest of the car to your current ones condition and spec.

The rb bit was a bit touunge in cheek - If you can get a twin tubo motor that bolts in thats certainly your best bet - your existing engine has to be worth something so maybe you can get some of the cost back

Ok so having read sleepers comments and having read another thread that he has replied on, I agree that the engine transplant may be a viable option and you could regain some of the costs by selling your existing option.

In my defense I did say that I get the full attachment to the car and the effort that you have already put in as I should know. In short to re-adjust my comments maybe an engine swap is viable but if you haven't already uprated your car to a huge extent already then I would buy the turbo version and start over.

A now slightly more diplomatic answer to avoid more stick!! lol

the last post I can agree with 100% alwyas try to buy the right car to start with........if possible.

getting carried away is so easy

Tell me about it.......

I think now I'm going to have to reshell my car to get it looking good now, and the fact I want a 3 doors instead of a 5 door and it would cost many thousands of pounds to get it just right, I can buy a complete 306 dturbo with tax and MOT in decent nick high milage admittedly for about £500-700 I reckon,

But yeah, if you want to keep the car cause you've done loads of work then go for an engine swap take your time and do it properly.