engine compatibility advice needed!!!!!!

Tank

Car
1989 Accord LX
Hey this is a newbe question lol. just wondering are b16/b18 engines all roughly the same. what i mean is that a 94 one would have the same/similar mounts etc as say a 98. im not even sure what cars have what engines or what engines can fit in which cars. any advice on what engines fit 94-98 civics and accords would be greatly appreciated. sori if im confusing.

um yeah a swap would be ideal into either a civic or accord when i hav enough money. i've had a look and gen1 b16a's are 1200 nz dollars, gen2 b16a's are 1900 and the lsd model is 2400. those are all rebuilt engines so are in mint condition (theres a big store where i live in auckland). The b18's are to dear so i probably wouldn't bother. If you had to chose, which engine would you pick and why? and also do these engines fit in ALL civics and accords from 94-98 assuming you have all the parts etc? any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks. and by the way definitely NOT into my accord.

Well, a 6th generation Civic VTi (1996-2000) already has the B16A VTEC (160 bhp) under the hood. Personally if I was to have a swap done it would be the B18C5 VTEC (195 bhp) from an Integra Type R. I would swap in this engine as it already produces 195 bhp and can easily be tuned to well over 300. Although this may be one of the most expensive Honda engines, it is well worth it.

Honda engines are very interchangable (assuming you have everything required), and although the newer K20A engines have not been swapped (to my knowledge) into an older Civic, it could be done. All the engines listed in the guide will swap into any Honda.

Other advice is look around for garages that can source and fit everything for you. That way you know you are paying for a full working engine, and an engine that has been professionally installed.

Oh, and I'd pick a Civic over an Accord. They are lighter, parts can be found very easily and they look better too.

Yeah cheers mate thats some good advice. only problem with a b18c5 is that they cost four grand and it would be really difficult to get insurance at my age because of the 'type R' label, how annoying is that? i just checked and the ones i would seriously consider are the gen1 b16a which is 1200 and the gen2 b16a non-lsd is 1950. BUT now they also have b18c non-lsd for 1950. What are the differences between gen1 and 2 b16's. and also would the b18 be better than both of them? i dont know anything except whats on your swaps page so if you could give me an idea of how much they weigh and which transmission is better etc it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for all your help.

I think the only difference between a gen 1 B16A and a gen 2 B16A is the year it was produced. Obviously the gen 1 is older (and therefore more likely to have higher mileage, need rebuilding and possibly need some things changing). The B16A produces 160bhp, the B18C I think you are talking about produces 170bhp. This would be the B18C1 from a Honda Integra (not a Type R). Between the 2 as standard there is only a 10bhp difference. The transmission used is pretty much the same as far as I know (the B18 may be slightly longer which means you would need that swapping too). Another possible swap would the B16B that produces 185bhp. This is from a Civic Type R though so insurance may a bit heavy.

If you can't afford the B18C5 swap then my advice is look for a Civic VTi as they already have the B16A engine that produces 160bhp meaning you wouldn't need a swap.