Engine Bay

Tricomb

Car
83' El Camino SS
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a thread on cleaning up an engine bay and making it look good. What's the best way to making one of these things look pretty, but I'm mainly concerned if you can do this to a used car with an ugly engine bay or is that something you do as you start adding performance parts?

Colour-coded hoses can make an engine bay look cool. Steam-cleaning IMO can be a bit dangerous unless you do it carefully to avoid swamping electrics or damaging belts.

cover all electrical points with bags etc.

hose gently then using the likes of soft paint brushes and degreasers to remove the dirt, then pressure wash off carefilly trying to avoid the electrics and belts.
alot recommend to leave the engine running when cleaning it with the hose so the heat aids drying out quicker

Degrease it using a garden sprayer and a brush (I use a 3") then get yourself some AutoSmart Finish, spray it all over, you may get a few pools of the milky stuff laying around but trust me just leave it, it will look superb.

Or you go mad and do something like this

Before

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-eng1-10054.jpg

After, and yes that is the same engine in the same car!

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-eng2-10055.jpg

If you just wanting to clean it, get yourself down to a local motorbike shop. Buy some stuff called ''muck off'' (around £10 concentrated) and spray that into your engine bay. Give it a min and "lightly" hose it off. That's what I do mine with and it comes up sweet.

@Raven I stripped the engine down to a certain degree and painted everything up myself. It is a bit extreme for your average engine detail, but if you want it looking right!

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-xkr-engine-strip-down-clean-10159.jpg

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-xkr-engine-looking-better-10160.jpg

xkracer-70408-albums-parts-pics-misc-2081-picture-painting-supercharger-coolers-10161.jpg

@YugGuy Yes that induction pipe is custom made but I did cheat on that one by using joiners, I also used the original end from the throttle body, not so much on this one.

xkracer-70408-albums-jaguars-i-have-worked-1860-picture-4-4-1998-xkr-5318.jpg

Making induction pipes is quite easy when all you are doing is using various elbows and straights connected via silicone or stainless over rubber sleeves, the tricky bit is fitting any breathers to it you might have, this is when you start getting into welded fabrications and you might as well forget the joins and weld the lot up.

@Jagz you have done a lovely work bro, that is so nice, :D i'm gonna stip down my engine in another two weeks, need to replace some parts and im planing to clean it before re fitting everything n im planing to paint the engine bay black and the block in silver colour the engine cover is gona be red and im also adding colour hoses and intake pipes, can you suggest me a best paint i can get for this job :)

Last edited:
Take engine out of car ( for rebuild) Stove enamel engine covers chosen colour. Put back together without leaks
Buy all matching hoses and as much carbon /alloy/chrome ( select as appropriate)
Fit the above

Clean engine bay everytime you go out

Result after over two years of driving about
IMG_0409.jpg

Thnkz for the reply, n i think your one is a TwinTurbo right, sweat n Sexy Love that work,
i'm planing what to add and the matching colours, mostly like a black n red theme with the block in silver :)

Thnkz for the reply, n i think your one is a TwinTurbo right, sweat n Sexy Love that work,
i'm planing what to add and the matching colours, mostly like a black n red theme with the block in silver :)

Sounds like a nice colour combination :)