engine bay cleaning

rob1468

Tuner
Car
saxovtr/mazda bongo
Right i have read the post a few down about engine bay cleaning , and i know from old days that petrol engines when wet are a pain in the rear , now i have a jet wash at home (cold feed only) and the car has a lot of sensors /electrical wires and relays everywhere in my engine bay , whats the easiest to do i have a box of rubber gloves do i rubber glove everything and jet it off or not bother lol ??
answers on a postcard please pmsl
rob

Diesels are no better these days. The amount of electrical equipment is common to petrol and diesel models. Diesels are not the stripped bare basic cars they once were in the 1980s.

I've jet washed diesel and petrol engine bays with no problems. Do it with the engine running but long before it reaches operating temperature. You do not want to be chucking water that's a couple of degrees above freezing onto an engine block and head(s) that are hot.

Be careful about directing the water jet directly at the alternator or other obviously exposed electrical bits. Very few cars have distributors or HT leads now so unless yours is a car with such things then you can be pretty liberal with the lance.

By having the engine running surplus water is thrown off by the rotating parts, belts, pulleys etc.

After washing put all the engine covers; plastic bits etc. back on and then proceed to go for a spirited 10-15 mile drive to warm things up and boil off excess water.

Gunk is a great product for removing grease. Focus your high pressure hose on the engine block and keep away from the electrics and you should be fine.

I've used a lot of Gunk and a hosepipe on mine to good effect in the past.

cheers guys
will look into the gunk/degreaser and probably ask the garage i go to what they use im sure i will be able to nick/borrow some of they lol , good terms with the owner :p doesnt get me money off but gives me favours and the odd cheap repair lol

in the past i used mr muscle oven cleaner sprayed it all over the grease/oil left it for a while, then used a cheap steam cleaner and it worked well for me:bigsmile: just another option for you.

that gunk is in an orange red can?
thats probably the best youll get

only things needed to cover are

distributor car very well
any fuse box

the rest is fine, i know, im cleaning engine bays a long time
now thats providing theres no dodgy wirin g exposed in the bay

also, whatever it says on the tin, always keep the engine running
i use black bags instead of gloves, you can really cover the hard areas

Ive found clingfilm works realy well for wrapping the electrics in keeps things nice and water tight just have to remember to remove all of it when u finished burnt plastic stinks lol

Cover computers and anything electrical. Be careful around oil fill openings and the dip stick.

The new computers are super sensitive. Also the coil-on-plug systems.

Normally i'm using water with garden hose after covering all electrical parts,sensors and alternator..still nothing happened.But you have to learn your parts in engine bay.Then you will be able to clean engine bay correctly.

^^ Are you serious asanka? :blink: I have only ever had special engine bay foam cleaners, degreasers and finishing lacquers used on my engine to clean it properly and to keep it looking good. Water via a garden hose just spells disaster! I take it that the absence of computers and various other electronics on a Sunny engine means you can use water with confidence then whether covers are used or not! You are a brave man :)

i used the pressure washer on lower setting last time, followed by paintbrushes and apc.
i also leave the engine running while im doing it for the heat to help dry out

Glad this technique works for some people then, I know of one horror story where the owner did not get away so lightly :sad2:
I think I will stay with the tried and tested methods of my car detailer ;)

youll find most detailers use the power pressure method, just common sense needed, bag off electricals and dont have the nozzle an inch of the engine or spray water into the air intake
also although i said engine on dont do it on a hot engine

We wash engines frequently. Customers used to insist on it as part of a car wash. Last year we decided not to unless the customer signs a waiver. The risk to electronics is high. I do my cars once a year or so, usually with a spray degreaser if needed and a garden hose, making sure all the electronics and dip stick are covered.

I usually use WD40 to clean my engine bay, then furniture polish on my painted components (Fuse boxes, Air box, headlamp covers, etc.) I wouldnt recommend it on certain colours though eg; tried it on my fiances car which is purple and it ended up streaky. But my car (Light bluey silver and black) seems fine. I just want to give a disclaimer aswell, I am clinically insane most of the time. "That seems like a good idea" is usually the only motivation I need to do something stupid :D

Here is one clean example from my Corvair
page23-1029-full.jpg

Richard's Car Restorations