Emissions

SCL

Banned
Car
JCD SI VTEC
Hello all, its JC here - my old account became limited for some reason.

So my prelude failed its MOT today on emissions, carbon dioxide was registering at 2000, the pass mark was 30.

Any advice anyone?

I think you're referring to (unburnt) hydrocarbons.

Usually an indication of rich running or incomplete combustion.

Air fliter, plugs, coils and leads will all affect this figure. Check these firstly.

A Turin tune-up often clears all manner of emissions ills.

I've reactivated your old account. I'm curious as to how it ever became deactivated, it looks like there was a bug!

I can merge your new account into your old one (or vice versa if you prefer)?

On to your problem it sounds like your cat/lambda or air intake sensor is playing up. It seems to be running very rich. Have you had problems with starting at all?

Drive it with lead feet for 1/2 hour or so :)

bottle of cleaner in it and do what hdi said

you dont need to go fast just high revs all the time dont change gear much before 5k

is teh first thing i do when i get a car in with high co

and the limit is 0.30 your 2.00 is very high

if it dont come down with a good blast might be the cat

Sorry, I mistook the figures of HC for CO. CO should be 0.3% by volume at most;

HC is generally not allowed to exceed 200ppm.

CO2 is not measured at MoT testing time.

I'm hoping that the CO is 2.0% - 2000% percent is mathematically impossible.

But bottle of cleaner is a good plan, Forte, Wynns etc. Even consider BG 44K, pricey but well regarded. I'm not sure about Redex for a cleanup, it's not a particularly agressive detergent but some say it works well in the long term for 'management' of engine deposits.

Then, proceed with the Turin technique. Plenty here will advise of how to do this. :)

Thanks for the advise everyone! my old account is working again miraculously.

It turns out that the lambda sensor was faulty & the warning light for it had been removed. Funny though it starts & runs perfectly.

Thanks for the advise everyone! my old account is working again miraculously.

It turns out that the lambda sensor was faulty & the warning light for it had been removed. Funny though it starts & runs perfectly.

Once you've replaced a dodgy lambda you should see better mpg. A dodgy lambda shouldn't stop the car from starting or running. It may just make the idle a little bit erratic on occasion.