Elise alternative for Light Entertainment

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Wanted Light Entertainment!
A while ago I did a few rounds on a track in an Elise, Brilliant, I wanted one straight away, So asked on another forum which is the cheaper equivalent car to an Elise. Only one person replied and claimed the Mk1 Mr2 was the nearest, (I saw an immaculate AW11 MR2 SUPERCHARGED today by the way). What do you think is the cheaper equal to the elise in fun and handling, Also what would be the nearest 4 seater (I was thinking 205). Thanks

Last edited:
A Robin Hood (great value), or Caterham (expensive) or similar kit type car is often a good bet. They are generally pretty cheap to maintain as well as they are based on "standard" car parts. You can get some good deals on fully assembled kits sold on due to new baby or loss of job etc...

the Vauxhall,s are not as cheap as the Elise second hand! I was wondering what a cheap alternative would be (Such as the metro suggestion (Talon are meant to be A1 when it comes to these sort of things) I doubt there are many Metro's left any more?!
As for the se7en type cars, a few years ago (2005) PPC got a pro Caterham racer to take her Caterham around a track and then test 4 other types of se7en. She liked all but the Shawspeed SK1.6 was her favourite by a large margin (In case anyone is thinking of buying a se7en)
In 2005 there were 24 companies making cars based on Chapmans seven concept, not bad for a 53 year old design, then of course there are the hords of locost builders.
But alas, a se7en isn't for me. (did go out in a westfield as a passenger on a track once. Scary but brilliant sideways action though.
So I diverge, so far we only have the metro mentioned..What can you tell me about the metro? any other alternatives?

There are enough left mate, you could buy one alrady done too (i know of one for sale for £2650 (i know its a lot for a metro but to build one the same spec you will need upwards of 8k...)

175bhp in a 850kg car will be enough to embarass many cars on track (elise? PAH!)

Or build one yourself... Rover 100 mpi is easiest to start with - £100-500

VVC engine - £200-300
Lowering and stiffening - free
Uprated Dampers - £80
Toyo R888s all round - £200 (ish)
Gti ARBs - £80

Thats a basic run down. A gti mpi comes with uprated rear hydrogas cans, Front and rear arbs and much better seats, as well as dampers up front as standard but they are getting a bit thin on the ground and will probably be rusty.

This is cheap! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/METRO-GTI-Cla...m3ef8556116&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_975

EDIT: Just saw you are in central america...My bad! Could be a damn sight harder getting and the car!

Toyota Tercel? With the 1.5 engine and put the turbo on from the starlet turbo.

Cant think of any cars that there would be plenty of around you :S

A 205gti would be a nice choice or a RS2000 with 4WD both are cheap and really fun cars.

yesh, I mentioned 205 in the origional post.I had a bottom of the range 205 diesel, still great fun once it was wound up

You can easily get sub 80k miles RS thats been cared for for under 2k sometimes under 1k!

In the process of buying one for my brother to replace the 106 as the insurance is 1.4k compared to the 1.5k on the 106 :)

Ooops sorry :embarrest::lol: Wonder how much would the postage be on it! :lol:

They handle like a go kart & are huge fun, technically their not to hard to build, If you have the space & the time. An experienced spanner thrower (of which I'm not!) could convert a Rover 100 to a 1.8vvc engine in a day. But I should imagine that a well set up & stripped out 205 would most likely be just as much fun. There's a some great 205's running the Mi16 engine too.